6220Sage Sparrows, Cinnamon Teal, Mountain Bluebirds

  • Jeff Kozma
    Apr 2, 2009
      Monday, on my way to Portland for a meeting, I stopped by Toppenish NWR and found a drake Cinnamon Teal (first of year for me) in the marsh along Old Goldendale Road. Then, I had two singing Sage Sparrows where Old Goldendale Road ends at Pumphouse Road. In this same area, I could hear at least two Mountain Bluebirds calling, but I was unable to visually locate the birds. I also got a brief glimpse of a large falcon, probably the same Peregrine I saw a few weeks ago. Other notable birds were Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, 2 Common Mergansers (unsual to me in such marshy habitat), Wilson's Snipe and a singing Marsh Wren.

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima