606Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches in the Yakima Canyon - Juanuary 1, 2002!

    Jan 1, 2002
      Yakkers,

      Between 3:15 and 4 pm this afternoon, Ellen and I observed at least one,
      perhaps several flocks of Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches in the Yakima Canyon. In
      one flock, we counted about 20 birds. This is the third winter I've observed
      this finch at this location. Park off SR-821 at the pullout just north of
      Milepost 4 (4 miles north of I-82). Scan the highest cliffs across the
      river. These birds are quitedistinctive in flight, even from afar, due to
      their contrasty-hued wings, which flash silvery as they whirl about high in
      the air. The finches probably roost in this cliff and begin arriving from
      their daytime feeding (presumably snow-free south slopes of Umptanum or the
      other high ridges ofthe "Yakima Fold Belt") areas at about 3 pm. You'll need
      a scope. These birds move about quite a bit on the cliffs. We also noted 1
      adult Bald Eagle, and calling Chukars.