5241Arboretum sparrow patch ready for winter

    Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Yakkers,

      I hauled a piece of plywood out to the arboretum this morning,
      screwed some legs on it and put it in place at the sparrow patch to
      give the birds a snow-free feeding area. I also placed a garbage can
      with bird seed just past the feeding area. If you stop by there,
      feel free to scatter some bird seed under the plywood.

      Lots of birds came to eat as soon as I walked away. The list from two visits:
      Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 cruised through pretty quickly
      Mourning Dove 3
      Black-billed Magpie 6
      Black-capped Chickadee 5
      American Robin 6
      Varied Thrush 1
      Spotted Towhee 3
      Song Sparrow 4
      Sooty Fox Sparrow 1
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 6
      White-crowned Sparrow 8
      Dark-eyed Junco 35 including one Slate-colored

      I then walked up to Sarg Hubbard Park and back.

      On Buchanan Lake were:
      Common Loons 2
      Western Grebe 1
      Pied-billed Grebes 3
      Canada Geese 20
      Mallards 2

      At the wetland at the south side of Sarg Hubbard Park and on the ponds:
      Canada Geese 180
      Mallard 45
      American Coot 35
      Pied-billed Grebe 7
      possibly three Lesser Scaup but they were too far away to ID (I
      didn't have my scope)

      Along the river:
      Common Merganser 1
      Bald Eagle, adult 1
      Cooper's Hawk 1
      Belted Kingfisher 1
      Common Raven on the east side of the river, which seemed to be an odd
      place for a raven

      The area at the WDFW office has twice as many House Sparrows as the
      other species combined. I think I will scatter bird seed there until
      the CBCs, then make a decision on whether or not to continue all winter.

      Denny