4328Morning at the Greenway/Popoff

  • Scott Downes
    Oct 1, 2006
      Spent an hour and a half birding the greenway and popoff trail this morning
      from 10:15-11:45. Huge numbers of American robin (estimated 5-600 total),
      seemed to be feeding on the Russian olive berries. Good numbers of
      Yellow-rumped warbler, with 2 of the Myrtle race mixed in (mostly we see
      Audubon's race here in yakima). 2 Townsend's warbler were seen. A Merlin was
      perching over the east side of the pond that you can see from the parking
      lot. The most intriguing bird (and most frustrating) was I heard a cassin's
      type vireo sing twice. The bird was fairly well back in the trees and could
      never locate the bird for views. This is quite late for this species and the
      possibility of a blue-headed peeked into my head. Ultimately without a view
      it will have to go down as a mystery but if somebody is down there you might
      want to keep eyes and ears open. The bird was on the paved portion of the
      greenway just north of the turn onto the popoff loop.

      Good birding.

      Scott Downes
      downess@...
      Yakima WA