10120Ash-throated Flycatchers in the Wenas

  • kozma.jeff
    Jul 7, 2014

      I saw a pair of Ash-throated Flycatchers in the Wenas today on Audubon Road just at the point where the sign says "end of county road".  I first saw one bird perched at the top of an elderberry on the west side of the road.  It was calling repeatedly and then flew across the road to the driveway with the big wooden "arch" over it.  There, it met a second Ash-throated Flycatcher and one of them began checking the holes in the cross beam.  Unfortunately, those holes were for the metal anchors that attach the cross beam to the pillars on each side and thus aren't usuable as a cavity.  I thought this an unusual species for the Wenas, especially for what appeared to be a mated pair.

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima (Terrace Heights)