10117Re: [BirdYak] Western/Clark's grebe

    Jul 7, 2014
      Nick,

      Separating Western from Clark's Grebes usually requires closely scrutinizing their distinguishing features. Birders often linger for many moments discussing identification of suspect grebes, especially at any distance.  These features include: orange bill, white surrounding eye, pale flanks, and more limited area of black on the top of their head and back of their neck. Voice is supposedly helpful, too, though I confess I've not had much luck really learning the differences in their calls.

      Andy Stepniewski
      Wapato Wa
      steppie@...

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 5, 2014, at 12:14 AM, "laker32@... [BirdYak]" <BirdYak-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On the way to yakima I noticed a Clark's/western grebe on the Parker freeway ponds. I didnt get a good look at the bird itself although I did get to see its head and neck well. I had an excellent view of its neck region in fact. Although it was only about 5 seconds I got to see many details. I looked on ebird and noticed the Clark's grebe is much rarer in the yakima county than the western. It had what I call a small "hood" above the eyes. I was wondering if that makes a great difference between species.Nick Mejia Mabton WA

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic