10109Close encounter of the NOGO kind

  • kozma.jeff
    Jun 30, 2014

      Today I was out in the Wenas off the Mud Flats road (heads off the road into the campground) checking some of my nests that I am monitoring.  Movement to left caught my eye and an adult Northern Goshawk was flying towards me and hit the side of a ponderosa pine with its feet not 30 feet from me.  I got distracted identifying the hawk because I thought at first it was a Red-tailed Hawk.  I didn't see what the goshawk attacked, but probably was a chipmunk.  After its attack, it flew into a ponderosa pine ahead of me and sat for about 30 seconds.  Then it flew to another pine behind the one it hit and sat in the thickest part of the pine canopy for about 3 or 4 minutes.  I'm thinking it was trying to hide and get a second attack on what it missed.  It gave up shortly after and headed off, gradually gaining altitude and soaring above me when it was promptly harassed by an American Kestrel.  It eventually kept soaring higher and then headed of to the west.  It was a very memorable sighting as I usually only see goshawks flying away from me;

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima (Terrace Heights)