Blue Door Oklahoma City as Viewed by Obsessed Fan

  • a_box_for_black_simon
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2004
      Hi friends...new to the group.

      I just wanted to comment on the Octiber 14th show in Oklahoma City;
      but before I do...

      The way I got into Bill's music was via ROUNDER Sampler CD which came
      with a MUSICHOUND FOLK book. I didn't listen to the CD for days. One
      day, I cranked it up and got into the bathtub. Not much stuck out (Of
      the music, that is) until this voice...THE DOG CAN'T MOVE NO
      MORE-SURPRISED HE MADE IT THROUGH THE SPRING...

      What is this?! So I jumped out and repeated that famous track. After
      some time and many more baths, started seeking out BILL's music. OK,
      we can all sleep tonight. On to the show.

      I found out about the show 2 days before. I never dreamed BILL would
      be in Oklahoma, so I was foaming, gurgling and all that.

      THE BLUE DOOR MUSIC ROOM:
      My best description is of this venue is simple-it is smaller than my
      living room and I live in a half-dugout. However, the atmosphere is
      unreal. Everyone who was there wanted to be there for the same
      reason-not stage diving or moshing luckily.

      I called the owner to ask about taping a few of BILL's performances
      with my new HI8-he said: ASK BILL. Oh great. Problem. Finding the
      venue. I got there well into BILL's second song, so I just started
      taping like I had the rights and hoped BILL wouldn't call me down. He
      probably knew it wasn't professional quality, on top of the fact that
      I wasn't very steady with the cam-the shock of seeing one of your
      hero's tends to cause some nervousness.

      I had a blast. Great show-great response. I couldn't have asked for
      anything more, except...

      BILL singing products and actually talking with his fans. EDSON was
      RIGHT THERE! Do you know how many people (BORDERS and HASTINGS
      employees) questioned my sanity do to my insistence that the book existed?

      I wanted his Essential Collection but figured I should grab the book
      while I had a chance. I have no clue why this novel isn't sold
      everywhere as it beats most of what is on the bestselling shelfs as
      those rare classics usually do. I haven't been that far into a book
      since I read ON THE ROAD. Why was I into it? I've never been to NEW
      ENGLAND. In my mind, BILL does no wrong with his art. However, EDSON
      brought forth a great tale which forced the cinematic images into my
      head.

      As for the video-it is watchable, I was quite happy to find-not a JOHN
      FORD classic but okay for an amateur like myself.

      I heard BILL tell a mutual fan that the OKC show was the funnest one
      thus far on the tour. I hope he meant that, because BILL sure gave
      several of us more fun than we've had in long time.

      For anyone near Oklahoma or planning to visit-THE BLUE DOOR is the
      greatest.

      Simon
    • Ellen Karas
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2004
        I just wanted to say that the Blue Door is a very special, very small venue.
        The first time I ever saw it was during the Rounder/Philo Singer-songwriter
        tour. I was the tour manager. And, we had this HUGE tour bus. And, a great
        driver who was used to tours at arenas and other larger venues. And, when
        we got to the venue the driver pulled up the bus and told me that he thought
        that the bus may be longer than the venue. And, we thought that he may be
        right. We didn't know what to expect, but, when Greg Johnson (the manager)
        came around the bend and saw us he was just very genuine and very relaxed.
        And, then, the audience came in and they were the same. Bill has wanted to
        make this a regular stop on his rounds for so long. So, I even emailed the
        Blue Door months ago when we were just planning the tour and booked this
        quickly. Even though it is a really small venue, when you are on tour,
        there are always these special places that make the whole experience of
        being on the road memorable and meaningful. And, he told me that he did
        have a great time at the gig. He is thinking that he will go back in the
        spring.

        Thanks for the input regarding this gig. It's so nice to hear about someone
        who liked being in the audience.

        Ellen Karas

        representing Bill Morrissey

        ellenkaras@...

        _____

[...]

        -----
        Bill Morrissey web site: http://billmorrissey.net

        To unsubscribe from this group, just send an e-mail to:

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129k8f8rc/M=273541.4247512.5496808.2248467/D=gr
        plch/S=1705331688:HM/EXP=1098278349/A=2061551/R=0/SIG=11sr5b9n1/*http:/launc
        h.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1001301>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=273541.4247512.5496808.2248467/D=grplch/S=
        :HM/A=2061551/rand=998530860>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links