[Bioethics] Warning: Are you being targeted for euthanasia?

  • as
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      Warning - Are You Being
      Targeted For Euthanasia?
      http://www.rense.com/general63/euth.htm
      March 30, 2005

      By Mary Therese Helmueller, R.N.

      In 1984, while working as charge nurse in the
      intensive care unit, a 20-year-old man asked me, "Can
      you give my mother enough morphine to let her sleep
      away?" I was horrified. "I can not kill your mother,"
      I responded. That was only the beginning. Recently, an
      80-year-old was admitted to the emergency room and the
      physician said, "LET'S DEHYDRATE HER"; one more
      patient was sentenced to die in hospice with NO
      TERMINAL DIAGNOSIS and once again, THE LIVING WILL
      determined the death of a 70-year-old man regardless
      of how he pleaded to live. I can no longer remain
      silent.

      Your life may be in danger if you are admitted to a
      hospital, especially if you are over 65 or have a
      chronic illness or a disability. The elderly are
      frequently dying three days after being admitted to
      the hospital. Some attribute it to "old age syndrome"
      while others admit that overdosing is all too common.
      Euthanasia is not legal but it is being practiced.

      Last year the New England Journal of Medicine reported
      that 1 in 5 critical care nurses admit to having
      hastened the death of the terminally ill! I believe
      the percentage is much higher. I have worked with
      nurses who even admit to overdosing their parents. No
      one knows the exact euthanasia rate in the United
      States, however Dr. Dolan from the University of
      Minnesota states that 40 percent of all reported
      deaths is probably a conservative estimation. If this
      is true then the United States is executing euthanasia
      at a higher percentage rate than the Netherlands where
      it is also illegal but widely practiced.

      Did you know that many doctors and nurses whom we
      trust are speaking openly about their desire to
      practice euthanasia? In fact they are even speaking
      about ending their OWN lives when they reach the age
      of 65 or BEFORE if diagnosed with an illness. Some
      even admit to stealing the drugs for their own lethal
      injection. Think about it. These are the same people
      who will determine the value of YOUR life. If they do
      not value their own, how can you expect them to value
      yours?

      I am a registered nurse in the St. Paul/ Minneapolis
      area with 15 years experience in emergency and
      critical care. My knowledge of euthanasia not only
      comes from my experience working in the critical care
      units throughout the Twin Cities, but also comes from
      a personal tragedy and loss in 1995. This is my true
      story. My hope is that you will educate others and
      protect yourselves and loved ones.

      On Monday, February 20th, my grandmother was admitted
      to a local Catholic hospital with a fracture above the
      left knee. She was alert and orientated upon admission
      but became unresponsive after 48 hours and was
      transferred to hospice on the fourth day and died upon
      arrival.

      I was in Mexico City conducting a pilgrimage and
      unable to be at her side so there were many questions
      upon my return. The doctors could not tell me the
      cause of her death so I began to search for the
      answers and was fortunate to obtain the hospital
      chart. It then became very clear that my grandmother
      had been targeted for euthanasia!

      Carefully tracing the events it was evident that my
      grandmother became lethargic and unresponsive after
      each pain medication. She would awaken between times
      saying, "I don't want to die, I want to live to see
      Johnny ordained": "I want to see Greta walk." Johnny
      was her grandson studying in Rome to be a priest and
      Greta was her new great-grandchild. Even though
      over-sedation is one of the most common problems with
      the elderly she was immediately diagnosed as having a
      stroke. When she became comatose a completely hopeless
      picture of recovery was portrayed by the nurses and
      doctors who reported that she had a stroke, was having
      seizures, going in and out of a coma, and was in renal
      failure.

      The truth however can be found in the hospital chart
      which indicates that everything was normal! The CAT
      scan was negative for stroke or obstruction, the EEG
      states "no seizure activity" and all blood work was
      normal indicating that she was not in renal failure!
      How were we to know that the coma was drug induced and
      that all the tests were normal? Why would they lie?

      Looking over the chart it is clear that obtaining a
      "no code" status was the next essential step in
      executing her death. This is an order denying medical
      intervention in emergency situations. The "no code"
      was aggressively sought by the medical profession from
      the moment of her admission but was not granted by my
      family until it appeared that she was dying and there
      was no hope. Minutes after obtaining the "no code" a
      lethal dose of Dilantin (an anti-seizure medication)
      was administered intravenously over an 18-hour period.
      It put her into a deeper coma, slowing the respiratory
      rate and compromising the cardiovascular system
      leading to severe hemodynamic instability. The
      following day she was transferred to hospice and died
      upon arrival. The death certificate reads "Death by
      natural causes."

      My grandmother had no terminal diagnosis but the
      hospice admitting record indicates two doctors signed
      their name stating that she was terminally ill and
      would die within six months. How was this determined?
      The first doctor, who was the director of hospice,
      never came to evaluate her or even read the chart.
      More interesting is the fact that the second doctor
      was on vacation and returned three days after her
      death! Obviously these signatures were not obtained
      before or even upon her admission to hospice. How can
      this be professionally, morally or even legally
      acceptable? Can anyone therefore be admitted to
      hospice to die? It certainly seems possible especially
      if sedated or unresponsive. In fact, this hospice has
      recently been under investigation for accepting
      hundreds of patients who had no terminal illness.

      It Could Happen To You

      How can this happen? A serious problem lies in the
      definition and interpretation of "terminal illness"
      which permits the inclusion of chronic illnesses and
      disabilities. Terminal illness is defined as "an
      incurable or irreversible illness which produces death
      within six months." The fact is that many chronic
      illnesses such as diabetes and high blood pressure are
      incurable and irreversible and without medical
      treatment such as insulin and other medications these
      illnesses would also produce death within six months.
      Therefore, those with chronic illnesses or
      disabilities can be conveniently denied medical
      treatment and even food and water to make them
      terminal. Typically it is the elderly who arrive in
      the hospital that are at the greatest risk. But it
      could be ANYONE! Especially those whose life and
      suffering is viewed as useless and burdensome.

      Difficult to believe? Well it was for our prolife
      lawyer until his mother-in-law was admitted to a
      hospital several months later for a stroke. She became
      "unresponsive" and "comatose" a few days after her
      admission. The neurologist wrote an order to transfer
      her to hospice refusing an I.V. and tube feeding
      staring "this is the most compassionate treatment."
      Remembering my story, our lawyer requested the removal
      of all narcotics and demanded an I.V. and tube
      feeding. This infuriated the neurologist. He began to
      accuse the family of being uncompassionate and
      inhumane. To prove his point he began a neurological
      assessment on the patient. Just then she opened her
      eyes and pulling the physician's necktie, forced his
      face to hers and said very clearly "Give me some
      water!" It was obvious that she was awake, alert and
      orientated. He angrily cancelled the transfer to
      hospice and ordered a tube feeding and intravenous.
      Several weeks later she was discharged and was
      exercising on the treadmill! She escaped the death
      sentence. Unfortunately many others like my
      grandmother have not. A stroke does not make you
      terminal but not receiving food and water does!

      A clear understanding and definition of euthanasia is
      essential for a correct and moral judgment.
      Unfortunately the meaning is being altered by those
      who hold society's values and by those who seek
      financial gain. According to the Congregation for the
      Doctrine of the Faith and reaffirmed by Pope John Paul
      II in his encyclical letter Evangelium Vitae
      euthanasia is defined as "an action or omission which
      of itself and by intention causes death, with the
      purpose of eliminating all suffering."

      The killing in hospitals today is commonly referred to
      as "the exit treatment" and disguised by the word
      "compassion." Many doctors and nurses honestly believe
      that this is the most compassionate treatment for the
      elderly, the chronic and terminally ill, especially
      those whose suffering is seen as hopeless,
      inconvenient and a waste of time or money. Those who
      hold this twisted and corrupted idea of compassion
      actually believe they are doing good because suffering
      has no value and materialism is their god. For
      instance, how often have we heard that Medicare and
      Medicaid are "running out?" "So why not relieve pain
      and lighten the financial burden of our families and
      society?"

      As a result, many patients are intentionally
      oversedated and forced to die from dehydration,
      starvation or over medication. "Death by natural
      causes" will be officially documented on the death
      certificate. Did you know that this is the exact same
      proclamation on the death certificate of St.
      Maximillian Kolbe? Everyone knows however that he died
      from a lethal injection in Auschwitz concentration
      camp after many days of dehydration and starvation!

      Pope John Paul II states clearly in his encyclical
      Evangelium Vitae: "Here we are faced with one of the
      more alarming symptoms of the 'Culture of Death' which
      is advancing above all in prosperous societies, marked
      by an attitude of excessive preoccupation with
      efficiency and which sees the growing number of
      elderly and disabled as intolerable and too
      burdensome."

      Many souls are being denied the opportunity to
      reconcile with God and family members because their
      death has been hastened or deliberately taken. This is
      a grave and moral injustice. Pope Pius XII in his
      Address to an International Group of Physicians on
      February 24, 1957 stated, "It is not right to deprive
      the dying person of consciousness without a serious
      reason." Pope John Paul II confirmed this in
      Evangelium Vitae saying, "as they approach death
      people ought to be able to satisfy their moral and
      family duties, and above all they ought to be able to
      prepare in a fully conscious way for their definitive
      meeting with God."

      Recently the Carmelite Sisters shared this tragic
      story of a friend whose husband was euthanized. Her
      husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer but was not
      expected to die for several months to a year. He had
      been away from the Catholic Church and the sacraments.
      He also was estranged from his children. One day he
      complained of pain that was not relieved by
      medication. The wife spoke to the nurse who then
      called the doctor. When the doctor arrived he gave an
      injection through the intravenous line. The husband
      took three breaths and died! The wife screamed, "I did
      not ask you to kill my husband!" "We needed time to
      reconcile our marriage and family." She continued to
      cry, "He needed time to reconcile with God and the
      Church!"

      It is evident that euthanasia is being even more
      cleverly planned and executed. A very holy priest from
      St. Paul was called to the hospital by a nurse to
      administer the last sacraments to a hospice patient.
      When the priest arrived he was surprised to find the
      patient sitting up in the chair! He visited with the
      patient approximately a half hour then heard his
      confession and administered the last sacraments. Just
      before he left the room the patient jumped up in bed
      and the nurse administered an injection. Perplexed and
      concerned, the good priest called the hospital upon
      returning to the rectory. The patient had already
      expired!

      There is a good and legitimate purpose for hospice
      units, but how can it ever be morally acceptable to
      transfer patients to a unit to die when they have NO
      TERMINAL ILLNESS? How can sedating a patient and
      refusing a tube feeding and intravenous be considered
      compassionate? Dehydration and starvation is not a
      painless death! Has this become the Auschwitz of
      today? A convenient and economically efficient place
      to dump the unwanted, imperfect, and burdensome of our
      society?

      Would a "living will" prevent these tragic events? The
      living will makes you a clear and easy target to be
      euthanized. A "living will" has nothing to do with
      living. It is your death warrant. It actually gives
      permission to facilitate your death by denying medical
      treatment. Did you know that it was originally
      developed by Luis Kutner in 1967 for the Euthanasia
      Society of America? It is the most cost effective tool
      for hospitals, insurance companies. Medicare and
      Medicaid. Therefore, since 1990 it has been
      deceptively packaged and promoted as a patient's right
      known as "the Patient Self-determination Act." If
      cutting care for those patients who ask for it wasn't
      so successful in saving money and controlling the
      budget, why then did it originate in the Senate
      Finance Committee and why was it supported by the
      House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Health? These are
      finance committees whose only interest is controlling
      the budget! It is obvious that the living will is all
      about saving money, not your life!

      Many people fear the loss of control that comes with
      illness and hospitalization. Tragically, they are
      deceived in thinking that the "living will" protects
      them and restores this control in their lives. Nothing
      could be further from the truth. No one knows the
      exact condition in which they will be admitted to the
      hospital. The "living will" is written in very broad
      terms leaving it open to the interpretation of medical
      professionals and others who stand to benefit from
      your demise. Remember your best interests or your
      interpretation may not be theirs! Can you imagine
      writing general instructions or signing a legal
      contract for the care of your Mercedes Benz several
      years before any problem occurs? "Please do not give
      oil or gas"; "If in three days it can not be fixed
      stop everything and trash the car." How absurd and
      ridiculous! It takes time to diagnose and treat even
      car problems! If we would not foolishly demand this
      for a car then how can we demand it for a human life
      which has an eternal value?

      Recently, a 70-year-old was admitted through the
      emergency room in respiratory distress. He was placed
      on a ventilator and transported to the intensive care
      unit. He was awake, alert and orientated anxiously
      writing notes: "I don't want to die": "I changed my
      mind": and "Please don't take me off the machine." He
      was very persistent and urgent with his pleading. I
      soon understood why! His family and physicians were
      meeting to discuss a serious problem. He had signed a
      "living will" declaring that he did not want "any
      extraordinary measures." He was now viewed as
      "incapable" of making any decisions and they wanted to
      follow his wishes as stated in the legal document!
      Very convenient for those who do not want their
      inheritance spent on hospital costs and for those who
      do not want to be bothered with a "useless burden" to
      our society!

      Today hospitals and health care facilities are
      required to ask patients if they have a living will or
      lose government funding! The question is proposed in
      such a way to create pressure on patients so that they
      think it is something good, desirable and necessary.
      "Do you know that you have a right in the state of
      Minnesota to possess a living will?" Please remember
      that the living will targets you for euthanasia by
      denying you medical treatment. Living wills kill: they
      do not protect you. Instead, I urge you to obtain a
      copy of "The Protective Medical Decisions Document"
      (PMDD) from the International Anti-Euthanasia Task
      Force, www.internationaltaskforce.org P.O. Box 756,
      Steubenville, Ohio 43952. Ph: 740-282-3810. Sign it
      and keep it among your records. Please get rid of your
      living will!

      Can you or a loved one be targeted for euthanasia
      without a living will? The course of events and
      treatment in my grandmother's short hospitalization
      are documented. She did not have a living will. Please
      know the following steps-it could save your loved
      one's life.

      1) Oversedation Causing Lethargy And Unresponsiveness
      Difficulty or inability to awaken a patient.

      Some patients, especially the elderly, are very
      sensitive to pain medications which are slowly
      metabolized by the liver. Toxic levels build quickly
      with very small doses commonly producing lethargy and
      unresponsiveness. Elderly patients require
      approximately 20% less of the normal adult doses.

      2) A Hopeless Picture Of Any Recovery The patient
      appears to be comatose and dying. The medical staff
      affirms this with overwhelming reports and statements.

      3) No Code Status Also Referred To As DNR/DNI (do not
      resuscitate/ do not intubate)-The consent is obtained
      from the family. It is a request to deny a patient
      delivered emergency care in a life-threatening
      situation.

      4) Lethal Doses Of Dilantin Or Narcotics-(morphine)
      This will hasten the death, shortening the hospital
      stay and expenses.

      5) Transfer To Hospice Without Tube Feeding Or
      Intravenous Due to sedation and inability to eat or
      drink the patient will die of dehydration and
      starvation.

      If a loved one is lethargic or unresponsive demand to
      see the medical chart and medications sheet. If you do
      not understand the terminology and medications,
      consult a pharmacist. A computer printout is available
      at pharmacies on most medications. If you suspect over
      sedation speak to a prolife doctor or nurse and then
      ask to stop all narcotics and wait at least for 48
      hours to see if there is any improvement. Contact
      prolife organizations such as National Right to Life
      Committee to obtain information and local phone
      numbers of prolife organizations, doctors, nurses or
      lawyers in your area: National Right to Life
      Committee:
      http://www.nrlc.org/default.html 512 10th St NW
      Washington, D.C. 20004; 202-626-8820.
      Think twice before giving consent to a "no code
      status." It has become too convenient for those nurses
      and doctors who hasten the death of their patients!
      Furthermore, it not only denies emergency medical
      treatment but many professionals also deny the
      following: antibiotics for pneumonia: medications and
      assistance to choking victims!

      If your loved one is being transferred to hospice DO
      NOT assume there is a terminal illness. Ask to see the
      chart especially in regards to unresponsive elderly
      and comatose patients. Remember that "comatose" is not
      a terminal illness, but not receiving food and water
      will make anyone terminal! Always ask for a second
      opinion. Consult with prolife nurses or doctors.

      If you need assistance in finding a prolife doctor,
      information, or just need to discuss your concerns on
      a particular case, please contact The Moscati
      Institute; 2901 Branch Street: Duluth MN 55812 Ph:
      218-728-4608.

      Your life may be in danger especially if you are over
      65 and admitted to the hospital. Euthanasia is not
      legal in the United States but is being practiced.
      Recently, Dr. Kevorkian in a TV interview said, "Why
      is everyone focused on me? There are many more doctors
      doing the same thing!" A pediatric cardiologist who
      interviews students for a prominent medical school on
      the east coast recently reported that more than 95
      percent agreed with Dr. Kevorkian's practices. The
      culture of death has permeated the minds of our
      doctors before they enter medical school! Obviously
      euthanasia is already being taught through the media,
      entertainment, primary and secondary schools and even
      in our families!

      Euthanasia is embraced by the lack of values in our
      society. It is the result of a culture that has
      accepted and promoted the killing of unborn children.
      The value of life is the extent of the pleasure and
      well being it brings. Suffering, imperfection,
      illness, and inefficiency are viewed as unbearable
      setbacks, useless and burdensome. Death is viewed as a
      "rightful liberation." As a result, euthanasia is
      packaged to appear desirable and then sold to the
      unsuspecting public as the "living will," "death with
      dignity" and "the right to die." Is it not logical
      that those who can kill the child in the womb will
      also kill their parents in their old age for the same
      reasons of convenience, compassion, money etc. . . .?

      We should think twice about promoting euthanasia by
      saying: "I hope there is a Kevorkian around when I get
      older," or "Just shoot me if I ever become like that."
      There is a great spiritual value to suffering. Every
      human life must be valued and supported as a precious
      gift. We cannot afford to patronize movies, TV
      programs, businesses or any forms of entertainment
      that promote, encourage and support the killing of
      innocent life. Prolife political candidates deserve
      our support and votes. It is imperative to be
      informed. We cannot fight what we do not know or do
      not see. You can contact Human Life International and
      ask for their monthly newsletter. Human Life
      International; 4 Family Life; Front Royal, VA 22630;
      phone: 540-635-7884: FAX: 540-636-7363.

      More importantly, we must work to convince government
      officials and medical professionals to protect all
      human life from the moment of conception to natural
      death. You have escaped death by abortion but you are
      all being targeted for euthanasia!

      Miss Mary Therese Helmueller, R.N. lives and works in
      the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. She is a registered
      nurse with fifteen years of experience in emergency
      and critical care. This is her first article in HPR.

      http://personals.yahoo.com