FW: Re: conference

  • Sadler Karen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2004
      Mark and guys,

      Remember you guys told me to send in to participate in this Western Social
      Science Association, Chronic Disease and Disabilities? I didn't think about
      it until this week when I asked if they would provide interpreters...the
      answer was no. The paper is nearly finished (abstract above).
      My question to you, is it worth the money on my part to pay for going to
      this convention and pay for an interpreter (which is really required by law)
      or should I just use this paper for another bioethics journal? I don't think
      I want to fight this at the moment, though they really should have thought
      about it!

      Karen

      Karen L. Sadler
      Science Education
      University of Pittsburgh

      >From: JLinn87844@...
      >To: kspittbull@...
      >Subject: Re: conference
      >Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:25:01 -0500
      >
      >Karen,
      >Unfortunately,the WSSA does not provide the assistance you
      >inquired about yesterday.Our section does not have funds to
      >pay for this. I wish that I could be of more help.
      > Gary Linn

    • Devva Kasnitz
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2004
        Dear Gary,

        How can this be?

        I understand that the section can't pay for it but if WSSA doesn't as a matter of policy what shall we do about it? Did David know this? Has it come up before? Have you gotten letters of support from SDS? I could write you one from the anthropology association. I know folks working on access in geography too. Are you preparing a resolution to the WSSA members? Are you planning pickets? If not, please stop asking us to participate. My dear friend, it's not ok. Given its history, as the founding home of SDS, WSSA is worth some of our time!!!

        In Solidarity,

        devva

        At 10:21 PM 3/18/2004 -0500, you wrote:
        Mark and guys,

        Remember you guys told me to send in to participate in this Western Social
        Science Association, Chronic Disease and Disabilities? I didn't think about
        it until this week when I asked if they would provide interpreters...the
        answer was no. The paper is nearly finished (abstract above).
        My question to you, is it worth the money on my part to pay for going to
        this convention and pay for an interpreter (which is really required by law)
        or should I just use this paper for another bioethics journal? I don't think
        I want to fight this at the moment, though they really should have thought
        about it!

        Karen

        Karen L. Sadler
        Science Education
        University of Pittsburgh

        >From: JLinn87844@...
        >To: kspittbull@...
        >Subject: Re: conference
        >Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:25:01 -0500
        >
        >Karen,
        >Unfortunately,the WSSA does not provide the assistance you
        >inquired about yesterday.Our section does not have funds to
        >pay for this. I wish that I could be of more help.
        >      Gary Linn

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/CBYolB/TM

        Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.egroups.com/community/Bioethics
        Yahoo! Groups Links

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Devva Kasnitz, PhD
        New Focus Partnerships
        Association of Program for Rural Independent Living
        Disability Studies at Cal (DiSC)
        Institute of Urban and Regional Development
        Ed Roberts Postdoctoral Fellowship in Disability Studies
        Academic Coordinator
        University of California, Berkeley

        Office Mailing Address:
        316 Wurster Hall #1870
        University of California
        Berkeley CA 94720-1870

        Fax: 510-643-9576
        EMAIL: <devva@...>. and <drdevva@...>

        Home Mailing Address:
        2345 7th St
        Berkeley, CA 94710
        Voice: 510-549-1865
        Cell Phone: 510-913-5791

      • Jack Noble
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19, 2004
          Karen,
          A possible way to have your cake and eat it too. If you can spring for
          the interpreter and afford to pay the conference expenses, why not do so and
          then when on the podium NICELY explain how you have been constrained,
          contrary to ADA accommodations law, to pay for your own interpreter. Let all
          and sundry in the gathering know that you will be making a formal complaint
          to the relevant federal compliance enforcement agency in this regard. Then
          deliver your paper and leave with a big shit-eating grin on your face!
          --JHN