Re: [Bioethics] [wta-talk] Stupidity should be cured, says DNA discoverer (fwd)

  • Sadler Karen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2003
      Rosemary,

      So they get rid of the original 10% they say are stupid, wait a decade or
      two, say well let's get rid of that next 10% who used to be considered
      relatively intelligent to the original 10%...etc...etc.

      I asked my husband 'so who do we end up with'...he said 'with them' (meaning
      annoying people like Singer and Watson...who of course, will never be in any
      of their measures of lower anything!)

      Karen

      Karen L. Sadler
      Science Education
      University of Pittsburgh

      "My abilities are not defined by my lack of hearing. My willingness to learn
      and educate, my insatiable curiosity about the human body and the world
      around us, my compassion for others, my sense of humor, and my perseverance
      in the face of great difficulties are the attributes by which others should
      judge me. Those people...scientists, physicians, educators, and others...who
      fixate on my deafness rather than seeing all that I am and all that I have
      accomplished, have more of a disability then I will ever have. They deserve
      my condolences and my pity, they do not deserve my time or my effort."

      Karen L. Sadler

      "You know, sometimes it is the artist's task to find out how much
      music you can still make with what you have left."
      Itzhak Perlman

    • uudre@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        <So they get rid of the original 10% they say are stupid, wait a decade or
        two, say well let's get rid of that next 10% who used to be considered
        relatively intelligent to the original 10%...etc...etc.

        I asked my husband 'so who do we end up with'...he said 'with them' (meaning
        annoying people like Singer and Watson...who of course, will never be in any
        of their measures of lower anything!)>

        Hi,

        This reminds me of the discussions in theological seminary of "predestination." Us students referred to the belief as that of "The Frozen Chosen." Why?

        It is the philosophy that before you are born it is already determined whether you are going to Heaven or Hell after you die.

        I have never even once encountered a seminary teacher believer in it who also thought they themselves weren't part of the Heavenly-bound group.

        I always thought the predestinationist teachers would have had a lot more credibility with my student crowd then if even just one had been as sure that they themselves were destined for Hell as they were that "the frozen chosen" existed.

        Funny how those determining out-groups that can be discounted never seem to be members of those same groups.

        RevRus
        uudre@...