Re: [Bioethics] Hospital Offers to Return Heart From Dead Babies

  • Alan Grimes
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
      > Thus our goal must be to either repudiate it completely or attempt to
      > alter its totalitarian possibilities, in short humanise it (yes, alas,
      > I'm still a carbon chauvinist). I'm afraid it cannot be escaped. We
      > can't board a neo Mayflower and opt out - it will follow us or
      > accompany us.

      HORAY!!!
      I have found, on this list, a thinker! =)))

      While I long for the ultimate mastery of the sciences and all the power
      that would bring, I fear one group of people, the radical
      singulitarians/posthumanists... ( www.singinst.org ).

      Some of their more radical members have unmitigated disdain for the
      human condition including its current form as a biological entity. A
      number of them would have absolutly no moral objections to forcably
      "uploading" their brains into computers, and then turning the entire
      planet into one giant computer that would provide virtual heavens to
      everyone...

      I have been trolling the mailinglists of the World Transhumanists
      association. www.transhumanism.org (or a url very similar), demanding
      that they enact a resolution re-affirming and protecting the rights of
      people to self-determine their own futures...

      I could use some help hammering the idea into them...

      --
      People who think that destructive brain uploading is an acceptable and
      positive choice should be committed to the mental hospital for suicidal
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        I might humbly suggest that colin and alan might be interested in a read
        of some of Karl Polanyi's work on the capitalist problem of treating
        things that aren't commoditiies, like human life, as if the were
        commodities, and Dave Ehrenfeld's new book, Swimming Lessons: Keeping
        Afloat in the Age of Technology.

        You could also check out a piece from Tikkun Magazine last fall by
        Andrew Kimbrell titled "Cold Evil."

        Doug Hunt
        "To forget our mistakes is bad. But to forget our successes may be
        worse."
        -- Neil Postman
      • colin.moore@families.qld.gov.au
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2002
          Actually Actually I'd love to see that hatful of arseholes upload
          themselves and whizz off into the nearest black hole. That is a move that
          has my full support.

          Alan Grimes <alangrimes@...> on 01/03/2002 13:47:01

          Please respond to Bioethics@yahoogroups.com

          To: Bioethics@yahoogroups.com
          cc:

          Subject: Re: [Bioethics] Hospital Offers to Return Heart From Dead Babies

          > Thus our goal must be to either repudiate it completely or attempt to
          > alter its totalitarian possibilities, in short humanise it (yes, alas,
          > I'm still a carbon chauvinist). I'm afraid it cannot be escaped. We
          > can't board a neo Mayflower and opt out - it will follow us or
          > accompany us.

          HORAY!!!
          I have found, on this list, a thinker! =)))

          While I long for the ultimate mastery of the sciences and all the power
          that would bring, I fear one group of people, the radical
          singulitarians/posthumanists... ( www.singinst.org ).

          Some of their more radical members have unmitigated disdain for the
          human condition including its current form as a biological entity. A
          number of them would have absolutly no moral objections to forcably
          "uploading" their brains into computers, and then turning the entire
          planet into one giant computer that would provide virtual heavens to
          everyone...

          I have been trolling the mailinglists of the World Transhumanists
          association. www.transhumanism.org (or a url very similar), demanding
          that they enact a resolution re-affirming and protecting the rights of
          people to self-determine their own futures...

          I could use some help hammering the idea into them...

          --
          People who think that destructive brain uploading is an acceptable and
          positive choice should be committed to the mental hospital for suicidal
          tendancies. http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/ <my website.

          Community email addresses:gwolbrin@...
          Post message: Bioethics@egroups.com
          Subscribe: Bioethics-subscribe@egroups.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
          http://www.egroups.com/community/Bioethics

          The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the
          recipient(s) only. It may contain privileged or confidential
          information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
          e-mail, you must not copy, distribute or take any action
          that relies on it.

          If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
          sender immediately and then delete the message.

          This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has
          been checked for the presence of computer viruses.
          Department of Families provide no guarantee that all possible viruses
          have been detected and cleaned during this process.