UK ACTION UPDATE - DEMONSTRATION AGAINST THE GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER

  • Lfetes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      Consider it done.

      Hi Liz and Kirsten

      Kirsten, could you please forward this to Disability Awareness and Liz to
      Bioethics list as Clair will not be at her computer until tomorrow, so she
      is unable to do so?

      ACTION UPDATE - DEMONSTRATION AGAINST THE GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER BY DISABLED
      ACTIVISTS - 31.08.01

      Today about a dozen disabled people protested against recent negative
      coverage in the Guardian newspaper - especially articles by Simon Hoggart
      and Polly Toynbee.

      After leafletting the general public and workers outside the Manchester
      offices of the Guardian, 2 of the protesters went in to negotiate a right to
      reply to the offending articles, under the editorial control of disabled
      people. As we were told there were no editorial staff present at the
      Manchester Offices, the Head of Personnel agreed to fax our demands to Chris
      Elliot, the Managing Editor at the Guardian's London office. After the
      protesters were able to speak directly to Guardian staff in London, it was
      agreed that the Guardian would contact their Readers Editor to ask if they
      would agree for the protesters to have a column in the paper as a right to
      reply.

      The Readers Editor is back to work on Tuesday 4th September when
      negotiations will start between the protesters and the Editorial staff.

      Disabled people are demanding that we have the right to reply to negative
      articles written about us by non-disabled people.

      If the Guardian does not afford us this right, further action will be taken
      against the newspaper.

      This protest was viewed as a partial victory, but we have a long way to go.

      rainbow@...