Join Facebook group - disabled baby killed by hospital

  • Alison Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
      Dear Friends,

      I've been a member of the Bioethics group for years, but have never plucked up courage to contact you all before.  Now I am.

      My friend Barbara Farlow in Canada has a Facebook group aiming to get justice for her disabled baby Annie, who she believes (and so do I) was deliberately "pushed into death" by a top Canadian children's hospital.  Annie had Trisomy 13 (Patau's syndrome) and died aged 80 days.

      Barbara wants to get more people involved in the Facebook group as she is desperate for ideas on how to proceed.  If you feel you could join the group, please go to:

      Best wishes to all,
      Alison Davis (UK)

    • Alex Schadenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
        I think the way to connect to the Justice for Annie facebook page is by linking to this address:

        I agree with Alison Davis

        Alex Schadenberg

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
          Many thanks for putting me straight!
          Best,
          Alison

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2010
            Annie was indeed perfect... Both in the eyes of those who love and in God's vision. Perfect in every way.
            Love,
            Samantha ^j^

            http://www.anniefarlow.com/

            Baby Dies... "Do Not Resuscitate Order" Without Informed Consent, Missing Narcotics, Missing Records....Coroner's Pediatric Committee Claims Suspicious Death as Being "Natural" but REFUSES TO CONFIRM if They Have Possession or Awareness of the Official Medication Record (Click here for letter to Chief Coroner) (FACEBOOK GROUP: JUSTICE FOR ANNIE)

            An innocent child suffered and died in a most tragic way in the Province of Ontario. The documents and records clearly describe that Annie slowly asphyxiated and the problem went undiagnosed, even when her little face turned cherry-red from the effects of sustained critical levels of carbon dioxide. Annie's doctors continually told us "We'll diagnose┬ů.later."

            It is reprehensible and contrary to the basic tenets of the good practice of medicine that this infant was left to endure continual and progressive asphyxiation. Dr. Paul Byrne, Expert medical review

            Twenty-four hours before death, at the age of 80 days, Annie was rushed by ambulance from the regional facility to a reputable children's hospital. No diagnosis for the cause of Annie's respiratory distress ever occurred. Even a test for pneumonia was deferred until the next day. When she suffered a respiratory "crash" on the ward, the records reveal that no call was made to the critical care unit for over one hour.

            Within 16 hours in the critical care unit, the doctor had entered an effective "Do Not resuscitate" order without informed consent. The nurse, who has since left the country, removed lethal quantities of narcotics without authorization and documentation. The final medical records are inexplicably missing. The final assessment revealed 97% oxygen saturation, good perfusion and stable blood work. It seems that Annie was not on the verge of impending death. She was breathing on her own, without a ventilator.

            The manner of Annie's death cannot be determined without a complete explanation and accounting of all the narcotics that were recorded to have been removed in Annie's name. Dr. Paul Byrne, Expert medical review
            Annie had a genetic condition related to disabilities.

            How and Why Did This Happen?

            Our baby Annie was born in May of 2005. She was full term, had excellent apgar scores and sucked vigorously on a pacifier. She was gaining weight and beginning to smile just before she died.

            Annie had a genetic disorder that is commonly associated with serious brain and heart defects. She didn't have them. Many of the babies with the condition are blind and deaf with poor muscle tone but our baby could see, hear and had normal muscle strength.

            We wanted to give Annie a chance and if treatment/surgery was not in her best interest, we wanted her to have a dignified death. We accepted her predicted disabilities. Something went very wrong. Annie died under suspicious and troubling circumstances.

            The hospital has not provided us with the final official medication record. The Chief Coroner of Ontario will not answer questions about the narcotics administered to Annie at the time of her death. The Chief Forensic Pathologist has referred to the medications administered at the time of death (according to a confidential note in the Coroner's file) but refuses to respond to our questions about what medications and what report he is referring to.

            Why did all the doctors in the medical system ignore critical signs of impending respiratory failure for weeks?
            Why did our trusted primary doctor fail to call the critical care unit for over an hour when Annie "crashed" on the ward?
            Why did the nurse remove lethal quantities of narcotics without a doctors order?
            Why did the intensive care doctor erroneously tell us that Annie needed surgery she wouldn't survive?

            The situation begs for a comprehensive, transparent review of policies and practices for babies born with genetic conditions in Ontario. Will the Premier of Ontario, Dalton McGuinty, answer our questions about the missing records and narcotics administered?

            Essay about Annie published in the Sept 2009 Hastings Center Report ( here) (information about the Hastings Center Report here)
            Lecture at the University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics (June 2008). "Making Tough Decisions Together" (download here)
            Patient Safety Video about hospital adverse events (downloadhere)

            This is how civil liberties can be eroded, little by little, yielded in small increments that case by case are not worth the cost of the fight Honourable Mr. Justice William Binnie, Supreme Court of Canada