EPC - Oct 8 - update

  • Alex Schadenberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2009
      The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition (EPC) is grateful to everyone who has responded to the Bill C-384 debate. The information we have indicates that Bill C-384 will be defeated at Second Reading in mid-November.

      This is not the time to relax. The wind is in our sails. A concerted effort by the media may suddenly change the momentum and there are still many Members of Parliament (MP) who are undecided. There is also another group of (MPs) who are somewhat opposed to euthanasia and assisted suicide and the momentum is moving several of them completely to our side. We need to increase not decrease our efforts.

      The second hour of debate for C-384 is tentatively schedule for November 16. The Second Reading vote will take place soon after the second hour of debate.

      We have time to inundate the members of parliament with letters for you

      .

      Have you sent a hand-written letter to your MP? EPC has distributed more than 100,000 postcards to our contacts. Postcards can still be ordered for $10 for 100 postcards + postage from our office by calling toll free: 1-877-439-3348, nonetheless a hand-written letter is the most effective means of communication, other than a personal meeting with your MP.

      You can also send an email to any MP at: http://www.contactmps.com/cgi-bin/BillGet.cgi. This website was established to allow you to contact any MP by email in a very easy way.

      For those who have received responses from the letters that you sent to MPs, please send that response to: info@.... The information that we gain helps us effectively defeat C-384 and any other future legislative attempts.

      For more information about the first hour of debate on C-384 go to: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2009/10/bill-c-384-first-hour-of-debate-in.html

      We are now receiving registrations for the Wilberforce Weekend. The Wilberforce Weekend is November 13 - 14, at the University of Ottawa. The registration cost is $99. Register for the Wilberforce Weekend online at: http://www.manningcentre.ca/en/activity_description/57

      Hotel accommodations can be arranged directly at the Novotel Ottawa, 33 Nicholas Street, Ottawa, ON, K1N 9M7, 613-230-3033, www.novotelottawa.com. The group reservation name is Wilberforce Weekend, Booking code: 15981. The special rate cut-off date is October 14.mailto:euthanasiaprevention@...

      The Wilberforce Weekend is one of the most important events that we have ever organized.

      Motion 388 - the motion by Harold Albrecht to clarify the assisted suicide law as to how it relates to Internet Suicide Predators also received its first hour of debate in late September. To read more about M388 go to: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2009/10/motion-388-receives-its-first-hour-of.html

      Our annual Classic Art Christmas Card fundraiser is up and running. This is our largest fundraiser of the year. You order Christmas Cards by going to: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/Cardsindex.htm

      Compassion & Choices has organized another attempt to legalize assisted suicide through the courts. A suit has been launched in the State of Connecticut to legalize assisted suicide. For information and to vote on an online poll go to: http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/todaysbuzz/thursday/hc-thursday-buzz-1008-poll,0,5139601,post.poll. Please vote NO using #4.

      Donations to the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition can be made online through paypal at our website at: www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca

      Alex Schadenberg

      Euthanasia Prevention Coalition

      Phone: 1-877-439-3348