calling Dr. Wesley Smith...

  • Sadler Karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
      Everybody,

      I would appreciate it if someone would forward this. This info just filtered down to us in the deaf community this week, and we are scrambling to do something about it before it goes to vote. Baroness Deech was very specific in her dislike of people or babies with deafness. Probably into response to some deaf couples choosing to have children who were deaf. Whatever it is about, this is again part of the slippery slope that Dr. Smith writes so well about, and any help we can get at the moment would be appreciated.

      I am a deaf person working with other deaf persons in Great Britain, because this week the House of Lords is set to pass a bill making it required to test and keep from being born, fetuses found to carry genetic disease. The following occurred...

      ON 19 November 2007 Baroness Deetch made the following contribution in the Second Reading debate in the House of Lords:

      'In the scientific field, the Bill confirms the wider use of pre-implantation genetic conditions.  That is good.  I hope that your Lodships will be pleased that the deliberate choice of an embryo that is, for example likely to be deaf will be prevented by Clause 14."

      Apparently the Baroness has never met any deaf people...since there are upwards of 450 genes for deafness (some of which do not cause deafness til after ages 20 or 30) in the Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man this will keep a lot of children from being born.

      England is quickly headed in the same direction as the Netherlands. Since Dr. Smith is the best and most vocal opponent against this happening, any help that he can muster would be appreciated.

      Karen Sadler

      Karen L. Sadler
      Science Education
      University of Pittsburgh

      "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do."
      -Helen Keller

      "You know, sometimes it is the artist's task to find out how much
      music you can still make with what you have left."
      -Itzhak Perlman

      Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate. Join in!
    • Teresa Burke
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
        Thanks for posting this Karen - very much appreciated. In case anyone would like more information, please check this out: www.grumpyolddeafies.com  - information is available in English and British Sing Language (BSL).

        I'm curious, do you have another reference for the upwards of 450 genes for deafness? I get a different number (much smaller number) when I search OMIM.
        Teresa

        --
        Teresa Blankmeyer Burke
        Gallaudet University