Principles for the Oversight of Nanotechnologies and Nanomaterials and Press Release

  • Jaydee Hanson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2007

      Dear Colleagues,

      Greetings.  Most of you are used to hearing from me primarily on human genetics issues, but we have also been working on nanotechnology. I work especially on the medical and genetics aspects and my colleagues work more on the environmental aspects of nanotechnologies. Attached please find the final version in pdf with all initial endorsing organizations of the document Principles for the Oversight of Nanotechnologies and Nanomaterials.  All together we have 44 endorsing organizations spanning the globe with a broad range of missions from tiny grass-roots groups to huge international labor unions.  A press release is also attached in pdf with a principles summary and quotes.   We will add organizations post-release if they wish to endorse and revise the endorsement list to show any new signatories in addition to the initial endorsers.  Please feel free to email me personally with any questions.

      Going forward our loose coalition of organizations will continue to work collaboratively on nanotechnology issues.  The genesis of this collaboration was the first NGO Nano Summit, hosted by my organization and Friends of the Earth, here in Washington , D.C. , back in January 2007.  Approximately 15 groups concerned with the development of nanotechnology attended that meeting with a diversity of interests including labor and workplace safety, environment, consumer product safety, civil society, women’s health, and citizen grass-roots.  Since then we have grown and added new members.

      We have quasi-regular calls of subgroups on various committees such as nanotech legislative happenings here in the U.S. or international nanotech coordination.  We also intend to have future nanotech meetings.

      Best regards,

      Jaydee

      Ps my apologies to those of you on these lists already signed on to the Principles.

      Pps this is an additional encouragement to those of you who have not endorsed the Principles to do so.

      Jaydee Hanson| jhanson@...

      Director for Human Genetics and Nanotechnology

      The Int'l Center For Technology Assessment &

      The Center For Food Safety

      660 Pennsylvania Ave., S.E.

      Suite 302

      Washington , D.C. 20003

      202-547-9359x24 | fax 202-547-9429

      This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.