Fw: turning the tide

  • Alex Schadenberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2007

      The new DVD on euthanasia and assisted suicide entitled: Turning the Tide produced by the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition and Salt and Light television media foundation is now available.

      Turning the Tide was designed to change the way secular society perceives the issues of euthanasia and assisted suicide. Secular society views the issues of euthanasia and assisted suicide to be issues related to autonomy whereas Turning the Tide shifts the focus of the issue.

      Turning the Tide uses a personal story style to focus on the vulnerability of the person when one experiences disability, depression or symptoms related to degenerative and/or end of life conditions. The video also focusses on issues related to pain and symptom management and proper end-of-life care.

      Groups that have viewed Turning the Tide have been incredibly impressed by the production quality of the video and the profound comments by the people featured in the DVD.

      Catherine Frazee, disability studies professor at Ryerson University comments in Turning the Tide that: "People like to frame this debate in the language of autonomy, or individual choice. They'll say to me that it's all right, you can say no, but other people will want to say yes, but I don't think individual autonomy should ever be permitted to trump the safety and well-being of the community."

      Wesley Smith comments in Turning the Tide that: "You have a situation in Canada and certainly in the United States, where people are having difficulty getting access to ... good pain control, good psychiatric involvement and good social services. Are we going to say that the answer for these problems is assisted suicide?"

      Senator Sharon Carstairs, former chair of the Special Senate Committee on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide answers the question on why people want euthanasia and assisted suicide by stating: "sometimes the pian is just too horrible, but we can deal with that. The other reason is ... they want their personal dignity. Well that says something pretty awful about each and every one of us. Why have they lost their sense of dignity? It is because we have made them feel less than dignified?"

      Jean Echlin, winner of the Dorothy Lea award for excellence in palliative care in 2004 comments in Turning the Tide that: "I could never advocate for someone to suicide when I can offer them pain management and symptom management right where they are."

      Turning the Tide features: Bobby Schindler (Terri Schiavo's brother), Wesley Smith (Attorney, International Task Force on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide), Catherine Frazee (former chair of the Ontario Human Rights Committee), Adrian Dieleman (counselor, rehabilitation clinic for spinal cord injuries in Hamilton), Jean Echlin (palliative care nursing consultant), Senator Sharon Carstairs (Senator from Manitoba), Alex Schadenberg (executive director, Euthanasia Prevention Coalition), Reg Hancock (spinal cord injury survivor) and more.

      A Discussion Guide for small group or classroom presentations has been designed for use and included with the DVD package. The discussion guide enables groups and individuals who share our concerns about vulnerable people to organize effective presentations on the issues. It is our hope that Turning the Tide will be used to facilitate many discussion forums throughout North America.

      The Turning the Tide DVD package includes all the DVD, the Discussion Guide, a recording sheet and all the resources that are necessary for making a presentation on euthanasia and assisted suicide.

      The Turning the Tide DVD package can be ordered from the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition for $50.00 for 1 package, $70.00 for 2 packages, or $100.00 for 4 packages by contacting the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition at: Box 25033, London ON, N6C 6A8, email: info@..., or calling: 1-877-439-3348. Further bulk rates exist upon request.

    • Sadler Karen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2007
        Ok Alex...

        Hate to be the nag here, but need to know to tell others in the deaf/HOH
        community...is the film closed-captioned? I know in the U.S. it is easy to
        get captioning done, but not the same in other countries, and others do not
        put the emphasis on it that we do here because of so many losing their
        hearing as aging baby-boomers, but I for one would like to see this video
        and I would not possibly be able to hear it, but I could read it.

        Karen

        Karen L. Sadler
        Science Education
        University of Pittsburgh

        "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
        do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do."
        -Helen Keller

        "You know, sometimes it is the artist's task to find out how much
        music you can still make with what you have left."
        -Itzhak Perlman

        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2007
          The film is closed-captioned.

          Alex Schadenberg

> [...]

          >designed for use and included with the DVD package. The discussion guide
          >enables groups and individuals who share our concerns about vulnerable
          >people to organize effective presentations on the issues. It is our hope
          >that Turning the Tide will be used to facilitate many discussion forums
          >throughout North America.
          >
          >The Turning the Tide DVD package includes all the DVD, the Discussion
          >Guide, a recording sheet and all the resources that are necessary for
          >making a presentation on euthanasia and assisted suicide.
          >
          >The Turning the Tide DVD package can be ordered from the Euthanasia
          >Prevention Coalition for $50.00 for 1 package, $70.00 for 2 packages, or
          >$100.00 for 4 packages by contacting the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition
          >at: Box 25033, London ON, N6C 6A8, email: info@..., or calling:
          >1-877-439-3348. Further bulk rates exist upon request.

          Live! http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ mcrssaub00500014 11mrt/direct/ 01/

        • Alex Schadenberg
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2007

            The powerful new DVD on euthanasia and assisted suicide entitled: Turning the Tide is selling incredibly well, early in its distribution. The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition sold more than 300 copies of Turning the Tide within its first three weeks of distribution.

[...]

            Jean Echlin, awarded the Dorothy Lea award for excellence in palliative care in 2004 comments in Turning the Tide that: "I could never advocate for someone to suicide when I can offer them pain management and symptom management right where they are."

            Turning the Tide features: Bobby Schindler (Terri Schiavo's brother), Wesley Smith (Attorney, International Task Force on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide), Catherine Frazee (former chair of the Ontario Human Rights Committee), Adrian Dieleman (counselor, rehabilitation clinic for spinal cord injuries), Jean Echlin (palliative care nursing consultant), Senator Sharon Carstairs (Canadian Senator), Alex Schadenberg (executive director, Euthanasia Prevention Coalition), Reg Hancock (spinal cord injury survivor) and more.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2007

                Turning the Tide, the powerful DVD on euthanasia and assisted suicide has been incredibly well received. The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition has sold more than 700 copies of Turning the Tide since its release in April and Turning the Tide has received positive reviews from people across Canada and the US.

                Turning the Tide is produced by the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition and Salt and Light media foundation.

                Turning the Tide was designed to change the way secular society perceives the issues of euthanasia and assisted suicide. Secular society views the issues of euthanasia and assisted suicide to be issues related to autonomy whereas Turning the Tide shifts the focus of the issue.

                Turning the Tide presents personal stories that focus on the vulnerability of the person when one experiences disability, depression or symptoms related to degenerative and/or end of life conditions. It also focusses on issues related to pain and symptom management and proper end-of-life care.

[...]

                A Discussion Guide for small group or classroom presentations is included within the DVD package. The discussion guide enables groups and individuals to organize effective presentations on the issues.

                The Turning the Tide DVD package includes the DVD, the Discussion Guide, a recorder sheet and other resources that are necessary for making a presentation on euthanasia and assisted suicide.

                The Turning the Tide DVD package can be ordered from the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition for $50.00 for 1 package, $70.00 for 2 packages, or $100.00 for 4 packages by contacting the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition at: Box 25033, London ON, N6C 6A8, email: info@..., website: www.epcc.ca, or calling: 1-877-439-3348. Further bulk rates exist upon request.