Reporting Aggressive/Dangerous Drivers in Fairfax County

  • Mitch Ferro
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
      I was riding to work this morning and had an "incident" with a driver who I
      guess thought I shouldn't be in the left-hand lane to take a left turn and
      therefore decided to "buzz" me and cut me off (while gunning his engine for
      effect I guess). I got his license plate number and exchanged a few words
      (not a good idea, but he had just ruined a beautiful commute).
      As with other times, I wished that I could report this to the police in a
      way that they could just "remind" this idiot that this behavior is not
      acceptable / legal. So I Googled "Fairfax County report aggressive driver"
      and found this:
      http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/trafficwatch.htm
      and more importantly this:
      https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/traf_sfty_report.htm
      Basically you can report an aggressive driver and they will receive an
      informational letter asking them to obey Virginia's traffic laws.
      I think this is a great thing. I described the incident in detail in the
      description area. It would be great if they had a way to send a letter
      specific to "bicycles are legal vehicles and here are the laws around them."

      I might contact Ffx Cty to see if they could have a specific checkbox for
      reminding motorists of bike laws. This could really be a great way to
      educate motorists instead of just having the same few idiots threaten us
      with their motor vehicles. (I believe the vast majority of motorists are
      actually very patient and safe around cyclists, but I might just be a blind
      idealist.) This might also be something I will see if Loudoun Cty is
      interested in.
      Thought you all might like to know of this resource.
      - Mitch

    • A R
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
        Thanks for sending out this information. I too have
        often wanted a way to report irreponsible drivers who
        act aggressively. Do you know if there are any steps
        taken for motorists that are reported more than once
        or twice (possibly indicating habitually dangerous
        driving)? Also, does anyone know if anything similar
        exists in DC?

        Thanks,
        AR

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Deborah Kosnett
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
          Great. I wonder if other jurisdictions have this,
          given that the entire region has the "smooth operator"
          aggressive driver campaign going on?

          Debbie

          ---------------------------------

          Washington dc web site design
          Washington dc computer
          Washington dc photographer

          Washington dc wedding photographer
          Washington dc cosmetic dentist
          Outdoor recreation

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------

          Rhinestone Rainbow: www.rhinestonerainbow.com
          Drop the Fork: www.dropthefork.net

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Peter Saint James
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
            On 11 Nov 2005, at 6:03 PM, Mitch Ferro wrote:

            > I was riding to work this morning and had an "incident" with a
            > driver who I
            > guess thought I shouldn't be in the left-hand lane to take a left
            > turn and
            > therefore decided to "buzz" me and cut me off (while gunning his
            > engine for
            > effect I guess). I got his license plate number and exchanged a few
            > words
            > (not a good idea, but he had just ruined a beautiful commute).
            > As with other times, I wished that I could report this to the
            > police in a
            > way that they could just "remind" this idiot that this behavior is not
            > acceptable / legal.

            This solution seems a bit of cop-out. The motorist
            broke several serious laws and needs to be taken off the street.
            Among others, he could be charged with reckless driving and assault.
            It would be better for cyclists to learn how to file charges in cases
            like this. This person does not need a reminder, they need therapy
            or jail time. Suppose the person had used some other instrument than
            a car to perform these actions. They would be in jail. Why not when
            they use a car? Why the difference?

            Peter
          • Robert Sargent
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
              The problem with this situation is that the guy may have been just trying to get to work, aggrssively prosecuting people isnt going to fix anything if the actions were misinterpreted by the biker and in fact may backfire in the long run in the form of a anti biker sentiment if bikers manage to get peoples drivers licenses pulled where no crime occured.

              I would of course add the usual disclaimer that I didnt actually see it and motorists who deliberately hit cyclists should be charged with assalt if in fact thats what happened.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2005
                I've had much much worse incidents where I've called the police (actually,
                the Loudoun Cty sherriff's office) and they haven't done anything. Also
                where I've gone to the Lo Co magistrate and filed charges (including
                assault) and nothing has come of it.
                Given that experience, I'm just happy to have anythinng that reminds a
                motorist that their actions just might have consequences. Small victories.
                - Mitch

                On 11/18/05, Peter Saint James <peterstj@...> wrote:

                > On 11 Nov 2005, at 6:03 PM, Mitch Ferro wrote:
                >
                > > I was riding to work this morning and had an "incident" with a
                > > driver who I
                > > guess thought I shouldn't be in the left-hand lane to take a left
                > > turn and
                > > therefore decided to "buzz" me and cut me off (while gunning his
                > > engine for
                > > effect I guess). I got his license plate number and exchanged a few
                > > words
                > > (not a good idea, but he had just ruined a beautiful commute).
                > > As with other times, I wished that I could report this to the
                > > police in a
                > > way that they could just "remind" this idiot that this behavior is not
                > > acceptable / legal.
                >

                > This solution seems a bit of cop-out. The motorist
                > broke several serious laws and needs to be taken off the street.
                > Among others, he could be charged with reckless driving and assault.
                > It would be better for cyclists to learn how to file charges in cases
                > like this. This person does not need a reminder, they need therapy
                > or jail time. Suppose the person had used some other instrument than
                > a car to perform these actions. They would be in jail. Why not when
                > they use a car? Why the difference?
                >

                > Peter

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • nkeenan633
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 19, 2005
                  --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, Robert Sargent
                  <formfeed7@y...> wrote:

                  > The problem with this situation is that the guy may have been just
                  trying to get to work, aggrssively prosecuting people isnt going to
                  fix anything if the actions were misinterpreted by the biker and in
                  fact may backfire in the long run in the form of a anti biker
                  sentiment if bikers manage to get peoples drivers licenses pulled
                  where no crime occured.

                  "Buzzing" is against the law in Maryland, Virginia and DC. I don't
                  see how you can say no crime occurred.