RE: [BikeWashingtonDC] Stolen Bike

  • Dave Blumgart
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2005
      monte@... wrote:

      >> And perhaps that's a relatively low-cost way of discovering that
      >> you have a terrible insurance company....

      >> I filed a claim (burglary) with a company about 25 years ago (crap, I
      must be
      >> old -- how'd that happen?) and they covered it but non-renewed me at
      renewal
      >> time -- it took me about 15 minutes to find a replacement insurer,
      which I
      >> recall ended up being cheaper.

      Sigh. I wouldn't belabor this tedious subject but for the fact that
      dangerous advice is being given that affects what is, for most people,
      their primary asset.

      You may find it helpful to actually read the article.

      http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/26/pf/insurance/use_it_lose_it/

      I know I did. For example:

      "....Another factor [in the rise of claim-related cancellations] was the
      emergence of the comprehensive loss underwriting exchange (CLUE) and
      similar databases that keep records of claims -- even mere inquiries --
      whether they're paid or not. Originally CLUE was used mostly for fraud
      detection, but more insurers now consult it about legitimate claims.

      Companies, according to Heller, "no longer look at the individual; they
      look at a database." The number of claims to trigger non-renewal varies
      from insurer to insurer (state regulations also apply), but can be as
      little as two claims over three years..."

      *********

      This suggests that (a) Experience from a quarter century ago is probably
      not relevant in 2005 and (b) If you're unattractive to one insurer
      others will consult the same database and may decline to insure you as
      well.

      In other words, filing small, unnecessary claims can be a cheap way to
      find out you're really screwed.

      DB
    • annelbv
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
        Passing the word along:

        Chris' bike looks like that:
        http://www.cyclesgeorget.com/systemsix/photos/SystemSIX_Super-Light.jpg

        The qualitative "racing" attached to the noun "bike" should give you a clue of the magnitude of the loss...

        Anne

        To: HyattsvilleBikersUnite@yahoogroups.com
        From: "chris militello" <mort.bootmill@...>
        Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 12:29:23 -0400
        Subject: [HyattsvilleBikersUnite] Stolen Bike

        I am being reactive here so I apologise in advance. My Cannondale Super Six racing bike was stolen from my front porch on the corner of 36th and Longfellow at about 11 am Saturday August 4th. It is black with big white lettering outlined in red. It have Mavic wheels and a large computer the size of a check book on the handlebars. The handlebar tape is bright pink so it should be easy to identify. If you see it please call Hyattsville police dept and me. I made a police report as soon as I noticed it was gone.

        thanks again

        Chris Militello
        cell 202 271 2253

      • Larry Golfer