Lessons from Beach Drive

  • Sami Fournier
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10 6:14 AM
      My HR jumped a bit yesterday when a guy in a Windstar slid off the road to avoid oncoming traffic as he tried to pass me on a blind curve in the Rock Creek Park on wet pavement. So my 2-hour ride was interrupted in the middle by about 25 minutes of watching 4 joggers who nearly got taken out pull the little old man out of the passenger side of the mini-van that was hanging on the bank of the creek, trying to stop shaking while calling and waiting for the cops, giving my name and contact info, and telling the cops about how the guy had luckily steered himself off the road instead of swerving into me. No one was hurt.

      I've ridden that narrow, curvy section of Beach Drive for over 10 years and always expected something like that to happen, I guess it was just a matter of time. When I heard him try to brake, and the van sliding on the wet pavement, and I saw the headlights of the oncoming cars, I braced myself for a collision, and kept spinning. I thought they'd crash, and I'd be caught somewhere in the flying debris. I should probably have stood up and tried to sprint, or looked for room to get off the road to my right. My reflexes are pretty slow when I'm spinning easy.

      MacArthur Boulevard in front of my house is the same story, and the delay on my ride put me on it during rush hour, which was a whole other hell due to what had just happened and the multitude of more stupid jackasses passing on blind curves.

      If iit weren't for the rain, it wouldn't have been that much of a problem. Luckily I'm trained in proper roadway positioning, and I don't hug the right side of the road, in those narrow lanes I ride right in the middle, which forced the guy all the way into the other lane, so he was less tempted to swerve back into me. Had it been a left-hand curve, it might have been a different story.

      Be Careful out there.

      Sami

    • Deborah Kosnett
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10 6:52 AM
        Yikes. Glad you're OK.

        Debbie

        --- Sami Fournier <samireneaf@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

        Drop the Fork: www.dropthefork.net
        Carbon Fork: http://dgk.typepad.com/carbon_fork/

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Peter Saint James
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 11 4:32 AM
          On 10 Aug 2005, at 9:14 AM, Sami Fournier wrote:

          > My HR jumped a bit yesterday when a guy in a Windstar slid off the
          > road to avoid oncoming traffic as he tried to pass me on a blind
          > curve in the Rock Creek Park on wet pavement.

          I had things like this happening to me all day Wednesday.
          None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
          the most near misses of any day ever:

          --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
          Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
          waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
          front of me.

          --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.

          --Several people cut me off.

          --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
          walking in a crosswalk.

          --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
          in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.

          --Several other incidents.

          I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
          when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.

          What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and
          Wednesday?

          Peter
        • monte@lukefisher.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 11 6:33 AM
            Yah, I too -- wacky folks were out and about yesterday!

            I've always called out "on your left" before passing bicycles and
            rollerbladers
            (the latter generally futiley because 90+% are obliviously enveloped in
            earphones...), but after last night I'll be signalling everybody: on the CCT,
            just as I was about to pass between a runner on the far right going in my
            direction) and a cyclist on the far left (coming toward me), the runner
            started
            to turn and took 2 quick steps to the left -- I shouted and she stopped, and I
            barely missed physical contact -- scared the beejeezus out of me (no beejeezus
            left at all -- and yes it likely scared her too; I looked back to see that
            there was no injury, but didn't return to discuss the relative merits
            of sudden
            random blind direction changes...)! So, for now on my rides will involve even
            more shouting, "on your left!!!"

            Just earlier, near the Bethesda end of the CCT, the dogs being walked by two
            folks on far opposite sides of the path decided to greet-and-sniff each other,
            which they did of course in the middle of the path, with owners, dogs, and
            their leashes blocking the entire width -- and the owners thought this was
            sooooo cute they began blithely chatting, from their opposite sides -- it took
            a shout to get them to pull in their leashes....

            I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
            off the DC
            reservoir the CCT can get weird....

            -- Monte

            Quoting Peter Saint James <peterstj@...>:

            > On 10 Aug 2005, at 9:14 AM, Sami Fournier wrote:
            >
            >> My HR jumped a bit yesterday when a guy in a Windstar slid off the
            >> road to avoid oncoming traffic as he tried to pass me on a blind
            >> curve in the Rock Creek Park on wet pavement.
            >

            > I had things like this happening to me all day Wednesday.
            > None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
            > the most near misses of any day ever:
            >
            > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
            > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
            > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
            > front of me.
            >
            > --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.
            >
            > --Several people cut me off.
            >
            > --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
            > walking in a crosswalk.
            >
            > --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
            > in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.
            >
            > --Several other incidents.
            >

            > I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
            > when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.
            >

            > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and
            > Wednesday?
            >

            > Peter

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Pedja Gudac
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11 9:45 AM
              > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
              > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
              > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
              > front of me.

              If this woman has white/grey shortish hair and was very near the wooden wheelchair-access downramp
              then I strongly sustpect her of being the same person who stepped in front of ME. Especially if
              she had a shirt/blouse in alternating dark and light bands and light (white?) pants on.

              > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and
              > Wednesday?

              - Two non-commuting riders on the PHT/Mt. Vernon trail who wobbled over the road at 16mph,
              accordioning just enough that I couldn't get past them until past the Columbia Marina overpass (it
              is pretty scary being behind 2 someones like that on that downhill curve)

              - Delivery vans parked every which way, so that the one section of sidewalk I had to use was
              completely blocked from being seen by people exiting the garage, and boy was that fun! I put a
              foot out but missed the guy's fender even though he was slanted towards me. Ya gotta love a crit
              bike in emergencies.

              - Road traffic was actually reasonable which made up for some sanctimonious pedestrian female
              walking her T'RU bike, using up 2.5 lanes and pointing fingers at oncoming riders saying
              'Dismount'.

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
            • Pedja Gudac
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11 9:48 AM
                > I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
                > off the DC
                > reservoir the CCT can get weird....
                >
                > -- Monte

                I could've sworn there had been a horse on that trail yesterday evening.

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • monte@lukefisher.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11 10:11 AM
                  Yes, I forgot about that! First time I've seen horse poop on the CCT....

                  Quoting Pedja Gudac <djop@...>:

                  >> I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
                  >> off the DC
                  >> reservoir the CCT can get weird....
                  >>
                  >> -- Monte
                  >
                  > I could've sworn there had been a horse on that trail yesterday evening.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Deborah Kosnett
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 11 12:11 PM
                    Y'know, she may not be all there. In which case, her
                    keepers should keep her away from the CCT.

                    D.

                    --- Pedja Gudac <djop@...> wrote:

                    ---------------------------------

                    > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle
                    of the Cap
                    > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking
                    my direction,
                    > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and
                    steped right in
                    > front of me.

                    If this woman has white/grey shortish hair and was
                    very near the wooden wheelchair-access downramp
                    then I strongly sustpect her of being the same person
                    who stepped in front of ME. Especially if
                    she had a shirt/blouse in alternating dark and light
                    bands and light (white?) pants on.

                    > What kind of traffic did others experience
                    Tuesday and
                    > Wednesday?

                    - Two non-commuting riders on the PHT/Mt. Vernon
                    trail who wobbled over the road at 16mph,
                    accordioning just enough that I couldn't get past them
                    until past the Columbia Marina overpass (it
                    is pretty scary being behind 2 someones like that on
                    that downhill curve)

                    - Delivery vans parked every which way, so that the
                    one section of sidewalk I had to use was
                    completely blocked from being seen by people exiting
                    the garage, and boy was that fun! I put a
                    foot out but missed the guy's fender even though he
                    was slanted towards me. Ya gotta love a crit
                    bike in emergencies.

                    - Road traffic was actually reasonable which made up
                    for some sanctimonious pedestrian female
                    walking her T'RU bike, using up 2.5 lanes and pointing
                    fingers at oncoming riders saying
                    'Dismount'.

                    __________________________________
                    Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                    Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile
                    phone.
                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

                    Sport
                    bike Recreation
                    Washington dc

                    Sports

                    Terms of Service.

                    ---------------------------------

                    Drop the Fork: www.dropthefork.net
                    Carbon Fork: http://dgk.typepad.com/carbon_fork/

                    __________________________________
                    Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                  • Todd Keller
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 11 12:58 PM
                      You've got to be kidding me!!

                      About a month ago, farther up on the CCT there are wooden stairs that come
                      from a trail. And, you guessed it, an eldery woman with gray hair stepped
                      into the trail without looking. At this time I was a fair distance from
                      her so I had plenty of time to slow down. Well, I figured once she looked
                      my way she would politely step out off the trail...not so! She appeared
                      to walk across the trail and almost get nailed by a cyclist on the other
                      side. By the time she jumped back into my path I was right there. I had
                      slowed enought to have control of my bike, but unfortunately she hit the
                      deck.

                      I was genuinely concerned for her and if she had been injured, but she
                      appeared to be ok. I then asked her if she looked both ways when she
                      crossed a busy street, and her reply was of course! I then asked her why
                      wouldn't she do the same thing on the trail, she said she hadn't thought
                      about that. If this in fact is the same person, she still hasn't figured
                      it out.

                      The group I ride with stay off the trails on the weekends, it's just too
                      dangerous. Too many people with headphones and no trail etiquette, I'll
                      take my chances with cars!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 12 4:24 AM
                        On 11 Aug 2005, at 12:45 PM, Pedja Gudac wrote:

                        > If this woman has white/grey shortish hair and was very near the
                        > wooden wheelchair-access downramp
                        > then I strongly sustpect her of being the same person who stepped
                        > in front of ME. Especially if
                        > she had a shirt/blouse in alternating dark and light bands and
                        > light (white?) pants on.

                        Nope. Different woman.

                        The responses give me some relief. I thought it was just me.

                        Peter
                      • Kirk McKay
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 12 6:20 PM
                          The police use horses on the CCT...guess they don't have to scoop....

                          > Yes, I forgot about that! First time I've seen horse poop on the CCT....
                          >
                          > Quoting Pedja Gudac <djop@...>:
                          >

                          > >> I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
                          > >> off the DC
                          > >> reservoir the CCT can get weird....
                          > >>
                          > >> -- Monte
                          > >
                          > > I could've sworn there had been a horse on that trail yesterday evening.

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Kirk McKay
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 12 6:25 PM
                            Agree with most of what you bring up...but my frequent peeve on the CCT is
                            bikers that won't slow down no matter what ...it's a well used trail...you
                            just might have to slow down once in a while to safely pass......
> [...]
                            > > None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
                            > > the most near misses of any day ever:
                            > >
                            > > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
                            > > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
                            > > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
                            > > front of me.
                            > >
                            > > --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.
                            > >
                            > > --Several people cut me off.
                            > >
                            > > --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
                            > > walking in a crosswalk.
                            > >
                            > > --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
                            > > in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.
                            > >
                            > > --Several other incidents.
                            > >

                            > > I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
                            > > when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.
                            > >

                            > > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and

                          • Monte Fisher
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 12 8:59 PM
                              I agree completely, and I certainly do, when I see any reason (which is
                              typically a half-dozen times plus on any given ride, from Bethesda on down)
                              -- but, at least in the past, when I'd see a clear space and nobody acting
                              oddly, I'd zoom on by..............

> [...]
                              > > None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
                              > > the most near misses of any day ever:
                              > >
                              > > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
                              > > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
                              > > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
                              > > front of me.
                              > >
                              > > --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.
                              > >
                              > > --Several people cut me off.
                              > >
                              > > --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
                              > > walking in a crosswalk.
                              > >
                              > > --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
                              > > in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.
                              > >
                              > > --Several other incidents.
                              > >

                              > > I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
                              > > when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.
                              > >

                              > > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and

                              Yahoo! Groups Links