Free Aug & Sept Street Cycling Classes

  • Allen Muchnick
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 25, 2005
      WABA to Offer Free Confident City Cycling Classes

      In keeping with its mission to promote safe bicycling throughout the
      Washington region, the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA)
      is pleased to announce that it has scheduled three additional
      Confident City Cycling Classes for the late summer. The classes are
      designed to provide cyclists with the skills they need incorporate
      bicycling into their daily routines. The three-hour classroom
      sessions teach the basics of bicycling on city streets for errands,
      commuting, and fun. The principles of lane positioning will be
      explained, along with techniques for avoiding some of the more common
      hazards. As time allows, bicycle fit and maintenance, emergency
      repairs, gearing and pedaling, nutrition, and accessory equipment
      will be covered. An optional one-hour bike ride follows the in-class
      segments.

      "Thousands of cyclists take advantage of the region's trail network
      every weekend, but many are hesitant to take that next step out onto
      the road" says Eric Gilliland, WABA's executive director. "WABA's
      Confident City Cycling Classes are a great way for less experienced
      cyclists to gain the skills and knowledge they need to ride local
      streets with safety and confidence."

      The Confident City Cycling Classes, which are made possible through
      the District Department of Transportation and Arlington County, will
      be offered on the following dates:

      Saturday August 13th at the Arlington Central Library's first floor
      Conference Room from 9a-12p with an optional on-road session from 12p-
      1p. The library is located at 1015 N. Quincy St, Arlington, VA, close
      to the VA Square Metro and four blocks south of the Custis Trail via
      N.Quincy St. Bike racks are available in front and behind building

      Saturday August 27th at Mount Pleasant Library's large meeting room
      in northwest DC from 9:30a-12:30p with an optional on-road session
      from 12:30p-1:30p. The library is located at 1600 Lamont St, 3
      blocks from Columbia Heights metro. Bikes allowed indoors via ramp to
      basement meeting room.

      Saturday September 10th at Arlington Fire Department's Station #9
      located at 1900 South Walter Reed Drive, Arlington, VA from 9a to 12p
      with an optional on-road session from 12p to 1p. This station is
      four uphill blocks north of the Four Mile Run and W&OD trails via
      Walter Reed Drive.

      WABA asks that cyclists who plan to join the on-road sessions
      afterwards bring a bike, helmet, water, and a lock.

      To register for this class, please provide <safetyed@...> with
      your name, email, and phone number for last-minute contact or call
      the WABA office at 202-628-2500. Please visit <http://www.waba.org>
      for more information.
    • Allen Muchnick
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9 5:53 PM
        WABA Announces Three Additional Confident City Cycling Classes
        August 13th, August 27th, September 10th

        The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is pleased to
        announce that it has scheduled three additional Confident City
        Cycling Classes for the late summer. The classes, which are free and
        open to the public, are designed to provide bike riders with the
        skills they need incorporate bicycling into their daily routines. The
        classes will be held on the following dates:

        Saturday August 13th at the Arlington Central Library's first floor
        Conference Room from 9a-12p with an optional on-road session from 12p-
        1p. The library is located at 1015 N Quincy St, Arlington, VA, close
        to the VA Square Metro and four blocks south of the Custis Trail via
        N Quincy St. Bike racks are available near the front and rear
        entrances.

        Saturday August 27th at Mount Pleasant Library's large meeting room
        in northwest DC from 9:30a-12:30p with an optional on-road session
        from 12:30p-1:30p. The library is located at 1600 Lamont St, 3 blocks
        from Columbia Heights metro. Bikes allowed indoors via ramp to
        basement meeting room.

        Saturday September 10th at Arlington Fire Department's Station #9
        located at 1900 South Walter Reed Drive, Arlington, VA from 9a to 12p
        with an optional on-road session from 12p to 1p. This station is four
        uphill blocks north of the Four Mile Run and W&OD trails via Walter
        Reed Drive. Bike racks are located at the 19th St S entrance.

        The three-hour classroom sessions teach the basics of traffic cycling
        on city streets for errands, commuting, and fun. The principles of
        lane positioning will be explained, along with techniques for
        avoiding some of the more common hazards. As time allows, bicycle fit
        and maintenance, emergency repairs, gearing and pedaling, nutrition,
        and accessory equipment will be covered. An optional one-hour bike
        ride follows the in-class segments.

        WABA asks that those who plan to join the on-road sessions afterwards
        bring a bike, helmet, water, and a lock.

        To register for this class, please provide <safetyed@...> with
        your name, email, and phone number for last-minute contact or call
        the WABA office at 202-628-2500. Please visit (http://www.waba.org)
        for more information.

        These free Confident City Cycling Classes are made possible through
        the District Department of Transportation and Arlington County
        government.

        ###
      • Sami Fournier
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10 6:14 AM
          My HR jumped a bit yesterday when a guy in a Windstar slid off the road to avoid oncoming traffic as he tried to pass me on a blind curve in the Rock Creek Park on wet pavement. So my 2-hour ride was interrupted in the middle by about 25 minutes of watching 4 joggers who nearly got taken out pull the little old man out of the passenger side of the mini-van that was hanging on the bank of the creek, trying to stop shaking while calling and waiting for the cops, giving my name and contact info, and telling the cops about how the guy had luckily steered himself off the road instead of swerving into me. No one was hurt.

          I've ridden that narrow, curvy section of Beach Drive for over 10 years and always expected something like that to happen, I guess it was just a matter of time. When I heard him try to brake, and the van sliding on the wet pavement, and I saw the headlights of the oncoming cars, I braced myself for a collision, and kept spinning. I thought they'd crash, and I'd be caught somewhere in the flying debris. I should probably have stood up and tried to sprint, or looked for room to get off the road to my right. My reflexes are pretty slow when I'm spinning easy.

          MacArthur Boulevard in front of my house is the same story, and the delay on my ride put me on it during rush hour, which was a whole other hell due to what had just happened and the multitude of more stupid jackasses passing on blind curves.

          If iit weren't for the rain, it wouldn't have been that much of a problem. Luckily I'm trained in proper roadway positioning, and I don't hug the right side of the road, in those narrow lanes I ride right in the middle, which forced the guy all the way into the other lane, so he was less tempted to swerve back into me. Had it been a left-hand curve, it might have been a different story.

          Be Careful out there.

          Sami

        • Deborah Kosnett
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10 6:52 AM
            Yikes. Glad you're OK.

            Debbie

            --- Sami Fournier <samireneaf@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
[...]

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------

            Drop the Fork: www.dropthefork.net
            Carbon Fork: http://dgk.typepad.com/carbon_fork/

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Peter Saint James
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11 4:32 AM
              On 10 Aug 2005, at 9:14 AM, Sami Fournier wrote:

              > My HR jumped a bit yesterday when a guy in a Windstar slid off the
              > road to avoid oncoming traffic as he tried to pass me on a blind
              > curve in the Rock Creek Park on wet pavement.

              I had things like this happening to me all day Wednesday.
              None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
              the most near misses of any day ever:

              --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
              Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
              waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
              front of me.

              --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.

              --Several people cut me off.

              --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
              walking in a crosswalk.

              --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
              in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.

              --Several other incidents.

              I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
              when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.

              What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and
              Wednesday?

              Peter
            • monte@lukefisher.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11 6:33 AM
                Yah, I too -- wacky folks were out and about yesterday!

                I've always called out "on your left" before passing bicycles and
                rollerbladers
                (the latter generally futiley because 90+% are obliviously enveloped in
                earphones...), but after last night I'll be signalling everybody: on the CCT,
                just as I was about to pass between a runner on the far right going in my
                direction) and a cyclist on the far left (coming toward me), the runner
                started
                to turn and took 2 quick steps to the left -- I shouted and she stopped, and I
                barely missed physical contact -- scared the beejeezus out of me (no beejeezus
                left at all -- and yes it likely scared her too; I looked back to see that
                there was no injury, but didn't return to discuss the relative merits
                of sudden
                random blind direction changes...)! So, for now on my rides will involve even
                more shouting, "on your left!!!"

                Just earlier, near the Bethesda end of the CCT, the dogs being walked by two
                folks on far opposite sides of the path decided to greet-and-sniff each other,
                which they did of course in the middle of the path, with owners, dogs, and
                their leashes blocking the entire width -- and the owners thought this was
                sooooo cute they began blithely chatting, from their opposite sides -- it took
                a shout to get them to pull in their leashes....

                I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
                off the DC
                reservoir the CCT can get weird....

                -- Monte

                Quoting Peter Saint James <peterstj@...>:

                > On 10 Aug 2005, at 9:14 AM, Sami Fournier wrote:
                >
                >> My HR jumped a bit yesterday when a guy in a Windstar slid off the
                >> road to avoid oncoming traffic as he tried to pass me on a blind
                >> curve in the Rock Creek Park on wet pavement.
                >

                > I had things like this happening to me all day Wednesday.
                > None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
                > the most near misses of any day ever:
                >
                > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
                > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
                > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
                > front of me.
                >
                > --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.
                >
                > --Several people cut me off.
                >
                > --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
                > walking in a crosswalk.
                >
                > --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
                > in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.
                >
                > --Several other incidents.
                >

                > I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
                > when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.
                >

                > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and
                > Wednesday?
                >

                > Peter

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Pedja Gudac
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11 9:45 AM
                  > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
                  > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
                  > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
                  > front of me.

                  If this woman has white/grey shortish hair and was very near the wooden wheelchair-access downramp
                  then I strongly sustpect her of being the same person who stepped in front of ME. Especially if
                  she had a shirt/blouse in alternating dark and light bands and light (white?) pants on.

                  > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and
                  > Wednesday?

                  - Two non-commuting riders on the PHT/Mt. Vernon trail who wobbled over the road at 16mph,
                  accordioning just enough that I couldn't get past them until past the Columbia Marina overpass (it
                  is pretty scary being behind 2 someones like that on that downhill curve)

                  - Delivery vans parked every which way, so that the one section of sidewalk I had to use was
                  completely blocked from being seen by people exiting the garage, and boy was that fun! I put a
                  foot out but missed the guy's fender even though he was slanted towards me. Ya gotta love a crit
                  bike in emergencies.

                  - Road traffic was actually reasonable which made up for some sanctimonious pedestrian female
                  walking her T'RU bike, using up 2.5 lanes and pointing fingers at oncoming riders saying
                  'Dismount'.

                  __________________________________
                  Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                • Pedja Gudac
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 11 9:48 AM
                    > I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
                    > off the DC
                    > reservoir the CCT can get weird....
                    >
                    > -- Monte

                    I could've sworn there had been a horse on that trail yesterday evening.

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • monte@lukefisher.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 11 10:11 AM
                      Yes, I forgot about that! First time I've seen horse poop on the CCT....

                      Quoting Pedja Gudac <djop@...>:

                      >> I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
                      >> off the DC
                      >> reservoir the CCT can get weird....
                      >>
                      >> -- Monte
                      >
                      > I could've sworn there had been a horse on that trail yesterday evening.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Deborah Kosnett
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 11 12:11 PM
                        Y'know, she may not be all there. In which case, her
                        keepers should keep her away from the CCT.

                        D.

                        --- Pedja Gudac <djop@...> wrote:

                        ---------------------------------

                        > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle
                        of the Cap
                        > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking
                        my direction,
                        > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and
                        steped right in
                        > front of me.

                        If this woman has white/grey shortish hair and was
                        very near the wooden wheelchair-access downramp
                        then I strongly sustpect her of being the same person
                        who stepped in front of ME. Especially if
                        she had a shirt/blouse in alternating dark and light
                        bands and light (white?) pants on.

                        > What kind of traffic did others experience
                        Tuesday and
                        > Wednesday?

                        - Two non-commuting riders on the PHT/Mt. Vernon
                        trail who wobbled over the road at 16mph,
                        accordioning just enough that I couldn't get past them
                        until past the Columbia Marina overpass (it
                        is pretty scary being behind 2 someones like that on
                        that downhill curve)

                        - Delivery vans parked every which way, so that the
                        one section of sidewalk I had to use was
                        completely blocked from being seen by people exiting
                        the garage, and boy was that fun! I put a
                        foot out but missed the guy's fender even though he
                        was slanted towards me. Ya gotta love a crit
                        bike in emergencies.

                        - Road traffic was actually reasonable which made up
                        for some sanctimonious pedestrian female
                        walking her T'RU bike, using up 2.5 lanes and pointing
                        fingers at oncoming riders saying
                        'Dismount'.

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                        Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile
                        phone.
                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

                        Sport
                        bike Recreation
                        Washington dc

                        Sports

                        Terms of Service.

                        ---------------------------------

                        Drop the Fork: www.dropthefork.net
                        Carbon Fork: http://dgk.typepad.com/carbon_fork/

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                      • Todd Keller
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 11 12:58 PM
                          You've got to be kidding me!!

                          About a month ago, farther up on the CCT there are wooden stairs that come
                          from a trail. And, you guessed it, an eldery woman with gray hair stepped
                          into the trail without looking. At this time I was a fair distance from
                          her so I had plenty of time to slow down. Well, I figured once she looked
                          my way she would politely step out off the trail...not so! She appeared
                          to walk across the trail and almost get nailed by a cyclist on the other
                          side. By the time she jumped back into my path I was right there. I had
                          slowed enought to have control of my bike, but unfortunately she hit the
                          deck.

                          I was genuinely concerned for her and if she had been injured, but she
                          appeared to be ok. I then asked her if she looked both ways when she
                          crossed a busy street, and her reply was of course! I then asked her why
                          wouldn't she do the same thing on the trail, she said she hadn't thought
                          about that. If this in fact is the same person, she still hasn't figured
                          it out.

                          The group I ride with stay off the trails on the weekends, it's just too
                          dangerous. Too many people with headphones and no trail etiquette, I'll
                          take my chances with cars!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 12 4:24 AM
                            On 11 Aug 2005, at 12:45 PM, Pedja Gudac wrote:

                            > If this woman has white/grey shortish hair and was very near the
                            > wooden wheelchair-access downramp
                            > then I strongly sustpect her of being the same person who stepped
                            > in front of ME. Especially if
                            > she had a shirt/blouse in alternating dark and light bands and
                            > light (white?) pants on.

                            Nope. Different woman.

                            The responses give me some relief. I thought it was just me.

                            Peter
                          • Kirk McKay
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 12 6:20 PM
                              The police use horses on the CCT...guess they don't have to scoop....

                              > Yes, I forgot about that! First time I've seen horse poop on the CCT....
                              >
                              > Quoting Pedja Gudac <djop@...>:
                              >

                              > >> I like runners, dogs, and dog owners, but when the stupid gas drifts
                              > >> off the DC
                              > >> reservoir the CCT can get weird....
                              > >>
                              > >> -- Monte
                              > >
                              > > I could've sworn there had been a horse on that trail yesterday evening.

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Kirk McKay
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 12 6:25 PM
                                Agree with most of what you bring up...but my frequent peeve on the CCT is
                                bikers that won't slow down no matter what ...it's a well used trail...you
                                just might have to slow down once in a while to safely pass......
> [...]
                                > > None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
                                > > the most near misses of any day ever:
                                > >
                                > > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
                                > > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
                                > > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
                                > > front of me.
                                > >
                                > > --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.
                                > >
                                > > --Several people cut me off.
                                > >
                                > > --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
                                > > walking in a crosswalk.
                                > >
                                > > --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
                                > > in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.
                                > >
                                > > --Several other incidents.
                                > >

                                > > I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
                                > > when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.
                                > >

                                > > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and

                              • Monte Fisher
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 12 8:59 PM
                                  I agree completely, and I certainly do, when I see any reason (which is
                                  typically a half-dozen times plus on any given ride, from Bethesda on down)
                                  -- but, at least in the past, when I'd see a clear space and nobody acting
                                  oddly, I'd zoom on by..............

> [...]
                                  > > None as spectacular but every bit as stupid. It holds the record for
                                  > > the most near misses of any day ever:
                                  > >
                                  > > --an elderly woman, standing in the middle of the Cap
                                  > > Crescent trail at the bottom of a downhill, looking my direction,
                                  > > waited until I'm almost up to her then turned and steped right in
                                  > > front of me.
                                  > >
                                  > > --A motorist ran a red light while I was in the cross walk.
                                  > >
                                  > > --Several people cut me off.
                                  > >
                                  > > --Twice turning motorists turned in front of me when I was
                                  > > walking in a crosswalk.
                                  > >
                                  > > --A cyclist coming the other direction on the trail pulled
                                  > > in front of me to pass a couple of pedestrians.
                                  > >
                                  > > --Several other incidents.
                                  > >

                                  > > I thought about taking a cab home, but abandon that idea
                                  > > when I realized what kind of cab driver I might get.
                                  > >

                                  > > What kind of traffic did others experience Tuesday and

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links