Re: K Street: Where's the Bike Lane?

  • JohnFMH
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
      --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, "nm_taylor"
      <nm_taylor@y...> wrote:
      > That's interesting. I have a couple of questions:
      >
      > 1. Do cyclists have to use the bike lane or are they allowed on
      the
      > road if they want to ride there? [And approximately what speed
      would
      > the road traffic be going?] Not that this applies to the K St
      > situation, but I'm curious.

      In Europe, cyclists are expected to use bike lanes when available.
      Special traffic signals allow cyclists to make left turns. The max
      speed limit in European cities is 50K per hour but 40 is more usual.

      > 2. Is there a bike lane on either side of the road? [The one in
      the
      > photo looks too narrow for 2-way traffic. I imagine if such a
      thing
      > were put on K St, there would be a lot of 'wrong way' bikers, even
      if
      > there were bike lanes on both sides of the road.]

      Usually if a road is two ways in Europe, you will have cycle paths
      on each side of the road with one going in one direction and another
      in the other direction. Bike lane traffic is supposed to immitate
      vehicular traffic in the roads. The segregated nature of the system
      in Europe keeps everyone safer and less stressed.

      John Sherwood
      DC