RE: RE: RE: [BikeWashingtonDC] URGENT: Call Congress Today to Keep Bike & Ped Funds

  • Sabrina Sojourner
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003

      Liz, I am sorry if you thought I was tactless and intolerant. I didn’t realize that Norton had changed committees, and I don’t take for granted that everyone knows about the peculiar status of DC.

      Sabrina Sojourner

      Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:36:18 -0400

      Sept 2, 2003

      SAVE FUNDING FOR BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN PROJECTS

      CALL CONGRESS TODAY!

      On Thursday, September 4th, the U.S. House of Representatives will vote on
      the 2004 Transportation Appropriations bill. Currently, that bill contains
      language that eliminates funding for the popular Transportation
      Enhancements program, the major source of federal money for projects such
      as multi-use paths, bike lanes, bike parking, and safety education efforts.

      Two good friends of bicycling, Congressman Tom Petri (R-WI) and
      Congressman John Olver (D-MA) will offer an amendment during debate on
      Thursday to restore the funding.

      Call your Representative today and ask them to support the amendment by
      Petri (pron "PEE-try") and Olver to save the Enhancements program by
      striking Section 114 of HR 2989. Make the call on Tuesday, September 2 or
      Wednesday, September 3.

      The main Capitol switchboard is 202-224-3121. To figure out who represents
      you, visit < http://econstituent.votenet.com/lab> and type in your zip code
      at the bottom. Call the Representative's Washington office.

      Since 1991, the Enhancements program has built over 16,000
      locally-initiated projects in communities across the country. For more
      info, visit www.americabikes.org.

      Let's make some noise in Congress! Please call today and forward this
      action alert to all friends of cycling.

      ==================================

      NORTHERN VIRGINIA REPRESENTATIVES

      8th District, James P. Moran (D): 202-225-4376

      10th District, Frank R. Wolf (R): 202-225-5136

      11th District, Thomas M. Davis,III (R): 202-225-1492

      MARYLAND REPRESENTATIVES

      Cong. Wayne Gilchrest, 1st District: 202-225-5311
      Cong. Dutch Ruppersberger, 2nd District: 202-225-3061
      Cong. Ben Cardin, 3rd District: 202-225-4016
      Cong. Albert Wynn, 4th District: 202-225-8699
      Cong. Steny Hoyer, 5th District: 202-225-4131
      Cong. Roscoe Bartlett, 6th District: 202-225-2721
      Cong. Elijah Cummings, 7th District: 202-225-4741
      Cong. Chris Van Hollen, 8th District: 202-225-5341

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      click here