Monday Feb 25: Speak up for bicycle parking
- Hi All,
For some time, Alexandria BPAC has been pushing to get decent bicycle parking
installed at the foot of King St in Alexandria (where the Mt Vernon Trail
passes through Old Town). A parking corral is planned for that location,
but it must first be approved by the Traffic and Parking Board.
On this we have had opposition from a handful of vocal and well-connected
Old Town residents who would prefer to see bicycles banned rather than
welcomed in that part of town.
Action: Please write an email of support or attend the meeting to speak
in favor of "Docket Item 6, Request to replace one parking space on the
south side of the unit block of King Street with eight bicycle parking spaces."
- Write to the Traffic & Parking Board liaison at bob.garbacz@...
- Speak at the meeting: Monday Feb 25, 7:30 pm, 301 King St, Council Chambers
Get meeting info at http://alexandriava.gov/TrafficParkingBoard
- Bicycle parking is higher capacity than car parking.
- Parking needs to be where people can find it.
- Actual bicycle parking is safer and easier to use than substitute
bicycle parking (sign posts).
- Thousands of people ride on the Mt Vernon Trail every day.
- When I feel welcomed I am more likely to spend money.
Jonathan KrallSecretary, Alexandria BPAC