Alexandria Complete Streets followup

  • Jonathan Krall
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2011
      Hi All,

      Thanks to all of you who sent in e-mails to the Commission.
      We obtained a partial victory in that the staff recommended a
      policy and the Commission spoke up for an Ordinance. In the
      end they tabled it until next month. We'll need to keep an
      eye on this.

      It was clear that the Commission wanted an ordinance but city
      staff (not clear which department) was pushing back, pleading
      "too much work." For one thing, the relevant design guidelines
      are 25 years old (according to the discussion). The Commission
      replied that it was about time they were updated. Staff also pleaded
      "too big a step" and "developers won't like it." The answer to
      the last one is that Complete Streets implementations can justify
      reduced parking requirements--developers hate parking requirements
      because they are very expensive.

      The handouts from the meeting can be found at
      http://alexandriava.gov/TransportationCommission
      Complete streets was Agenda Item 7. Some of the handouts for that
      item included listings of jurisdictions with policies versus ordinances.

      As I see it, Complete Streets cannot happen without a culture change
      among the people who design streets (see Mia Birk's book "Joyride"
      for discussions of this). My points:

      - If the Alexandria design manual really is 25 years old, that culture
      change hasn't happened yet.

      - One can already see that it hasn't happened yet by looking at bikepath/road
      connections in Alexandria (e.g., Wilson Bridge/Washington Blvd/Church St
      and Daingerfield/Duke St/Bikepath). They just don't make sense--you get to
      the end of the bike path and see no sensible options to proceed by bicycle.

      Anyway, we'll need to keep pushing. Thanks for your attention.

      Jonathan

      On Tue Jan 4 22:43 , Jonathan Krall sent: