My nominee for craziest person on a commute

  • geoffreygee
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2010
      I saw a person walking on the railing between the walkway and roadway on
      Teddy Roosevelt Bridge this morning. This tops the bike salmon with the
      headset riding on Virginia Avenue.
    • Deborah Kosnett

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2010

          I'm afraid I don't understand the question.  Are you asking what is bike salmon?

          http://streetsblog.net/2010/04/19/the-persistence-of-bike-salmon/

          As I rode across Virginia Avenue this morning pondering why some dude was walking the guardrail like a tightrope, a cyclist was on the westbound portion of Virginia Avenue heading east -- coming from the old Howard Johnsons which is now a GWU dorm towards Juarez Circle in Foggy Bottom -- then turned into the circle to get to H ST.  All while riding against the flow of traffic.  He did have good taste in music on his big earphones/headset -- probably doubling as ear warmers -- which I believe was playing Bob Marley.  "I Shot the Sheriff" is pretty distinctive; but we didn't cross paths for very long so perhaps he was listening to glop.

          Google map where this took place ...

          http://tinyurl.com/3939vdh

          -G

          --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Kosnett <dkosnett@...> wrote:

          > What about the bike salmon??
          >
          > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM, geoffreygee geoffreygee@... wrote:
          >

          > > I saw a person walking on the railing between the walkway and roadway on
          > > Teddy Roosevelt Bridge this morning. This tops the bike salmon with the
          > > headset riding on Virginia Avenue.

        • Dasa
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2010

            Centreville Rd. Between Elden St. Marketplace and Rte 50 - feasible? hair-raising? suicidal?

            Weekend daylight ride, ~20+mph.     Alternatives welcome.

            Thanks in advance.

          • Sam Felis
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2010
              On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Dasa <djop@...> wrote:

              Centreville Rd. Between Elden St. Marketplace and Rte 50 - feasible? hair-raising? suicidal?
              Weekend daylight ride, ~20+mph.     Alternatives welcome.

              On a morning you'll have no problems, but Saturday afternoon might be a little hairy.  Overall, it's feasible, but be warned that along Centreville Road south of the toll road (past West Ox) there are no shoulders that I recall and there's a curb on the side of the road, thereby limiting your "escape" routes (so to speak).

              The only real alternative I can think of would be to head down Monroe Street (from Herndon Parkway), cutting through neighborhoods on the way.  Google shows the original route about five miles whereas the alternative route to be about 6.5.  Take a look for yourself and play around with it at

              http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Herndon,+VA+20170+(Elden+Street+Marketplace+Shopping+Center)&daddr=Centreville+Rd&geocode=Fa-CUgIdavRi-yHkxIH7HSerNynhJxam9Ee2iTHAKDyQYip0Pw%3BFdh6UQIdbX5i-w&gl=us&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=18&sll=38.894974,-77.429591&sspn=0.003181,0.006496&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18

            • Sam Felis

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 9, 2010
                  The FFX county parkway has a decent paved trail along its northbound side plus wide shoulders in both directions.  This route is a good alternative to go between Herndon & route 50.
                  - Kate