Re: High Water on the Mount Vernon Trail

  • Larry Golfer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      Any lingering high water on Mount Vernon Trail Wednesday evening or even this morning?

      Happy riding.
      Larry

      --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, DancesWithCars <danceswithcars@...> wrote:

      > I biked on Sunday in the Heavy Rain
      > but along Route 1. Really nasty stuff,
      > eyes filling with burning salt, glasses
      > fogged, really rather dangerous,
      > even by my Rt 1, 3-5 lanes of 45+ MPH
      > Each Way standards...
      >
      > Previous week(s), I biked on the GW Parkway,
      > flood waters had made the debris on the trail
      > unpassable and techinically after dark
      > I'm not allowed on the trail, as the park is closed.
      >
      > In the winter, I biked until I got to the first boardwalk
      > going south from the Bridge/ Beltway, and fell
      > on the slush/ four letter sn*w.
      >
      > Earlier/ Later sn*w was more clear But
      > the frost on the wet boardwalks
      > got slippery.
      >

      > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Chris Range <lcms0516@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > On 3/29/2010 9:27 AM, J wrote:
      > > > The Mount Vernon Trail is underwater in 5 spots from the Dyke Marsh boardwalk to the Airport. 4 spots are located between the boardwalk and Belleh Haven Park. The 5th is near the marina at Daingerfield Island. All were passable but prepare to get your feet wet.
      > > >

      > > I am indirectly glad, I am injured. If the water is still there on
      > > Saturday, were I not injured, I would be biking down to Belle Haven Marina.
      > >
      > > Christopher
      > >

      > --
      > DancesWithCars
      > leave the wolves behind ;-)

    • mmurphy_va
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hey DWC (or others) - when you ride up Route 1 to bypass the Mount Vernon Trail, where do you re-connect to cross the Potomac into DC? I realized on Monday that with the high water, this would be good to know someday.