bicycling coast to coast

  • Daniel J Ciccarelli
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
      I an planing on do a bicycle ride from yorktown to seatle washington in may of 2010 would like talk with some one who has done it
    • DancesWithCars
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2009
        there are some people who have done it locally,
        at least around. An author and his daugher,
        not sure what route...

        PotomacPeddlers and better yet
        check the Adventure Cycling Associatation,
        Musulla (sp?) Montana, iirc,
        they are the BikeCentenial people
        who make the cross country bike maps.

        Remember, there's adventure in those
        there maps... At least there was some
        on the one to Richmond (east coast set)...

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Daniel J Ciccarelli <djcvdc@...> wrote:
        > I an planing on do a bicycle ride from yorktown to seatle washington in may
        > of 2010 would like talk with some one who has done it

        snip yahoo trailer trash

        --
        DancesWithCars
        leave the wolves behind ;-)
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
          You can see scores of accounts of coast to coast trips on Crazyguyonabike.com. Many trip journals contain equipment lists, and recollections of likes and dislikes, things and routes that were good bad or ugly, and the like. Each journal has a guestbook that you can use to contact the author.
        • DancesWithCars
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
            Yes, forgot CrazyGuyOnABike.com,
            and I've got a little journal there too...

            Father daughter book mentioned before is

            Biking (and Schmoozing) Across America with My Daughter
            by Frank Ridge
            1993
            ISBN 1-878602-81-0
            Published by
            Sports Support Syndicate, Inc.
            Intelligence Products and Progressive Publishing
            Development, Sales, Distribution
            Pittsburg, PA

            Los Angeles, California to Cambridge, Mass
            Pedal for Power riders part of a foundation of the League of American Wheelmen

            Biking daughter Julie
            this was about 16 years ago, and Frank was 70 at the time,
            so might want to locate and contact the daughter, first.

            On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM, John PIckett <rootchopper@...> wrote:
            > You can see scores of accounts of coast to coast trips on
            > Crazyguyonabike.com. Many trip journals contain equipment lists, and
            > recollections of likes and dislikes, things and routes that were good bad or
            > ugly, and the like. Each journal has a guestbook that you can use to contact
            > the author.

            snip yahoo trailer trash

            --
            DancesWithCars
            leave the wolves behind ;-)
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
              Yes, check out Adventure CyclingAssociation, they are the experts in cross country and shorter albeit long distance rides and maps.  I know several folks who have done the Southern Tier Route fairly recently.  Nolan Danchik and his wife. Will locate their email and send to you.

              On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Daniel J Ciccarelli <djcvdc@yahoo. com> wrote:
              > I an planing on do a bicycle ride from yorktown to seatle washington in may
              > of 2010 would like talk with some one who has done it

              snip yahoo trailer trash

              --
              DancesWithCars
              leave the wolves behind ;-)

            • Dianne
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
                When you start putting together your itinerary, don't forget
                www.warmshowers.org too...

                --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel J Ciccarelli" <djcvdc@...> wrote:

                > I an planing on do a bicycle ride from yorktown to seatle washington in may of 2010 would like talk with some one who has done it

              • Peter Saint James
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6, 2009
                  On 1 April2009, at 1:26 PM, Daniel J Ciccarelli wrote:

                  > I an planing on do a bicycle ride from yorktown to seatle
                  > washington in may of 2010 would like talk with some one who has
                  > done it

                  I've bike across the US, but I went the other direction. You can
                  also find dozens of folks who have gone across the US on the bike
                  touring list:

                  You find no end of information about this tour or about most any
                  route in that list's archives.

                  Peter