Re: [BikeWashingtonDC] Cables

  • Steve Mitchell
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      I was going to grease my derailleur and brake cables as part of my overhaul, but they haven't been giving me any problems and don't seem to stick, so I'm wondering if the greasing is even necessary? I haven't touched them since I got my bike in 2001, so maybe it's a good idea anyway? Or is it time to replace them and the housing? Thanks for any words of wisdom on this.

      Steve

    • David Wiesenhahn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        I would recommend replacing them. I have had cables break on me at
        inopportune times because they had deteriorated, so now I change them
        annually as part of my winter maintenance. I just did the brake
        cables on one of my road bikes last weekend. Of course, some of this
        depends on how often you ride, and in what conditions, and so on.

        For cutting the cable and housing, I would recommend using a cutter
        specifically made for this. It is hard to get a clean cut using wire
        cutters or a similar general tool.

        On Mar 1, 2009, at 13:04, Steve Mitchell wrote:

        > I was going to grease my derailleur and brake cables as part of my
        > overhaul, but they haven't been giving me any problems and don't
        > seem to stick, so I'm wondering if the greasing is even necessary? I
        > haven't touched them since I got my bike in 2001, so maybe it's a
        > good idea anyway? Or is it time to replace them and the housing?
        > Thanks for any words of wisdom on this.

      • Geof Gee
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
          Some cables are teflon coated. Greasing is unnecessary for these
          cables. Might just make them dirtier; but probably does no harm.

          You can probably visually inspect the housing; although there is no
          guarantee that the inside of the housing wears like the outside of the
          housing. Might not be a bad idea to replace eight-year-old housing just
          to reset the clock. I would definitely swap the cables. Stopping your
          bike Fred Flintstone style would be awful for those carbon fiber shoes.
          Stopping your bike with your head would be even worse.

          -G

          --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, Steve Mitchell <ixpata@...>
          wrote:

          > I was going to grease my derailleur and brake cables as part of my
          overhaul,
          > but they haven't been giving me any problems and don't seem to stick,
          so I'm
          > wondering if the greasing is even necessary? I haven't touched them
          since I
          > got my bike in 2001, so maybe it's a good idea anyway? Or is it time
          > replace them and the housing? Thanks for any words of wisdom on this.
          > Steve

        • Steve Mitchell
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
            Thanks! Those comments from Geof and David are enough to convince me to replace the cables and housing just to be on the safe side.

            Steve