Re: [BikeWashingtonDC] Best Place for Bike Service???Any recommendations???

  • Leslie Tierstein
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2008
      I have always had good experiences with Papillon, on the corner of Columbia Pike and Walter Reed. It's a small shop (basically a one-person operation), and the owner (Bailey) doesn't have a lot of parts in stock, but he is willing to special order stuff for you. He does excellent work. I've had him do lots of work on lots of different bikes including replacing the stem and handlebars and de-gunking the STI shifters; adjusting a 3x7 hub and cassette ; spreading the rear triangle on my old commuter, and adjusting the drive train for the new wheel with the wider hub; and more routine maintenance I was too lazy to do myself.

      It is 1.5 miles from Clarendon, 2+ miles from Pentagon or Pentagon City, but there is very frequent bus service up Columbia Pike from either Pentagon or Pentagon City.

      Leslie

      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 5:15 PM, James <mooniker@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have any good recommendations for repair in or near
      Arlington, preference to metro accessibility?

      I just had the unfortunate experience of discovering that my smallest
      chain ring (the really low gear on a Miyata Six Ten touring bike) is
      completely warped (and its dislodged screws were hitting the frame).
      Yuck.

      On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Peter Saint James
      <peterstj@...> wrote:

      > On 18 July2008, at 6:13 PM, michaelcycle8 wrote:
      >
      >> Does anyone have an excellent service experience that they could share
      >> and help recommend a great bike shop?
      >

      > Help us a little by telling us where in the metro area you are and
      > what type of bike you have.
      >

      > Peter

    • Peter Saint James
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
        On 31 July2008, at 5:15 PM, James wrote:

        > Does anyone have any good recommendations for repair in or near
        > Arlington, preference to metro accessibility?

        Best place I've found in Northern Virginia unfortunately isn't near
        Metro: Bike Lane in Burke.

        For your needs, I would try Pro Shop in Georgetown. It's not too
        far from Foggy Bottom Metro. They have a reputation for high-quality
        work. It's across the street from the end of Key Bridge.

        Peter
      • bikerboynv
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
          contes bike shop is very good.

          On 31 July2008, at 5:15 PM, James wrote:

          > Does anyone have any good recommendations for repair in or near
          > Arlington, preference to metro accessibility?

          Best place I've found in Northern Virginia unfortunately isn't near
          Metro: Bike Lane in Burke.

          For your needs, I would try Pro Shop in Georgetown. It's not too
          far from Foggy Bottom Metro. They have a reputation for high-quality
          work. It's across the street from the end of Key Bridge.

          Peter

        • frickercycle
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
            I'll second the recommendation for Papillon... Bailey is a great guy,
            and does good work. He is also one of the few people in the area
            doing any sort of frame repair/brazing work, and he's good at it. I
            don't have personal experience with the other shops mentioned, but
            have heard good things about most of the shops in the area. DC seems
            to be blessed with mostly good bike shops.

            That being said, I'll also suggest that if you can ever make it out to
            my place of employment, Bikes@Vienna (in, of all places, Vienna), I'd
            be more than happy to work on your bike. I'm the head mechanic and
            resident old bike geek (interpret that as you will) and I'm a big fan
            of the old Miyata touring bikes, as I own each of the models above and
            below yours (210 and 1000). Great bikes and well worth keeping rolling.

            Tim

          • bowmandj@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
              Second for Conte's. It's near Ballston metro, located at Quincy St. and Wilson Blvd.

              On 31 July2008, at 5:15 PM, James wrote:

              > Does anyone have any good recommendations for repair in or near
              > Arlington, preference to metro accessibility?

              Best place I've found in Northern Virginia unfortunately isn't near
              Metro: Bike Lane in Burke.

              For your needs, I would try Pro Shop in Georgetown. It's not too
              far from Foggy Bottom Metro. They have a reputation for high-quality
              work. It's across the street from the end of Key Bridge.

              Peter

            • markblacknell
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                Huh. Could have sworn I posted a response, earlier. Anyway, make that
                a third for Conte's. Excellent place that has provided consistent
                quality service since they've opened. Good prices, and I can't
                imagine an issue they couldn't handle.

                Saint James <peterstj@...>
                > Sent: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 6:21 am
                > Subject: Re: [BikeWashingtonDC] Best Place for Bike Service???Any
                recommendations???

                > contes bike shop is very good.

              • nate walker
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Either the Bicycle ProShop (ask for Tom) or Contes (ask for Seth or Greg - bring some red bull for extra attention)

                  Huh. Could have sworn I posted a response, earlier. Anyway, make that
                  a third for Conte's. Excellent place that has provided consistent
                  quality service since they've opened. Good prices, and I can't
                  imagine an issue they couldn't handle.

                  --- In BikeWashingtonDC@ yahoogroups. com, bowmandj@... wrote:

                  > Second for Conte's. It's near Ballston metro, located?at Quincy St.
                  and Wilson Blvd.

                • Leslie Tierstein
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                    Hate to disagree, but some of the teeny-boppers (er, younger employees) at Conte's looked down their noses at my older, non-sexy bikes and didn't seem to want to be bothered with helping me out.

                    On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:54 AM, markblacknell <yahoo@...> wrote:

                    Huh. Could have sworn I posted a response, earlier. Anyway, make that
                    a third for Conte's. Excellent place that has provided consistent
                    quality service since they've opened. Good prices, and I can't
                    imagine an issue they couldn't handle.

                    --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, bowmandj@... wrote:

                    > Second for Conte's. It's near Ballston metro, located?at Quincy St.
                    and Wilson Blvd.

                  • Jan Hertzsch
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                      I have been going to Spokes Etc in Vienna.  Not near a Metro and I am about to go back for the 4th time to fix a squeek on my new Trek. Love the people but having some angst over this squeek issue.

                      Mr. Jan

                    • Geof Gee
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                        I generally do my own work. But sometimes time is sometimes an issue,
                        so I sporadically bring a bike into a shop or ask questions before
                        buying a part/beginning a job. Generally I rate a shop by the quality
                        of work and whether someone is feeding me a line when I ask uncommon
                        questions: happens somewhat frequently since I ride folding/travel
                        bikes, have lower gearing than the typical roadie, and have
                        a "Shimangolo" drivetrain. All I need is a recumbent/trike/tandem and
                        I can really drive people crazy.

                        I go to Bikes at Vienna for anything with small wheels. While it is
                        not close to a Metro, it is right off the WOD and you certainly don't
                        need a small chainring (granny) to ride there. Replacing the small
                        chainring is straightforward. I would expect them to do it on the
                        spot if you mentioned that you rode the bike there ... perhaps you
                        could call ahead. I have always gotten honest work/advice and John
                        Bruno is standup guy.

                        Conte's does good work. But my understanding is that they are
                        completely booked for quite some time. However, your job might be done
                        on the spot. So if call ahead and ask. Scott has always been helpful
                        when he isn't crazy busy. They even removed an improperly installed
                        bottom bracket out of a bike after hours when I rolled into the
                        parking lot at 8:02. Simple job that took all of two or three minutes.

                        My experience with the Revolution Cycles guys is high variance. But
                        there are some good wrenches there too. I mention them since I think
                        your job is simple and they are close to the Clarendon Metro.

                        The Bicycle Pro Shop has two or three mechanics that have been
                        repairing bikes for a gadzillion years. If you speak Italian I
                        suspect you get an extra discount. ;-)

                        I walked into Wheel Nuts once when my new headset was a bit too loose
                        on the Bike Friday -- yes ... it was a bit scary when I hit the
                        brakes. Ron took care of it and seemed like a pretty good guy.

                        Jonathan K. speaks highly of Papillion. It isn't a particularly
                        convenient location for me.

                        If you are a WABA/PPTC member, you often get some discount on service
                        or parts (5 or 10%). Bring your card.

                        -G
                      • Jonathan Krall
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                          Papillion has been great. The owner seems to be able to deal with anything
                          I throw at him, including old bikes with oddball parts. He leans towards
                          making the parts on the bike work versus ordering a lot of replacements.
                          The nearest metro stop is probably Clarendon.

                          Quoting Geof Gee <geoffreygee@...>:

                          > Jonathan K. speaks highly of Papillion. It isn't a particularly
                          > convenient location for me.
                          >
                          > If you are a WABA/PPTC member, you often get some discount on service or
                          > parts (5 or 10%). Bring your card.
                          >
                          > -G
                          >

                          > --- In BikeWashingtonDC@yahoogroups.com, James <mooniker@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Does anyone have any good recommendations for repair in or near
                          >> Arlington, preference to metro accessibility?
                          >>
                          >> I just had the unfortunate experience of discovering that my smallest
                          >> chain ring (the really low gear on a Miyata Six Ten touring bike) is
                          >> completely warped (and its dislodged screws were hitting the frame).
                          >> Yuck.

                        • kohl57
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
                            If you broaden this discussion to beyond Arlington, I'd sure recommend
                            The Bike Shop (District Hardware) in DC, two blocks from Foggy Bottom
                            Metro. They have been building up my collection of classic lightweights
                            for about six years now and it's not often one finds a shop that can
                            work on a 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, Sturmey-Archer FC hubs, Benelux
                            Super 7 derailleurs, a 1967 Holdsworth Super Mistral, a 1974
                            Motobecane Team bike and a 1973 Cinelli Speciale Corsa with care,
                            attention and genuine love of something other than carbon fibre Treks
                            and made in Viet Nam "Raleighs". Maybe they devote special attention to
                            my stuff precisely because it is different but I think if they can keep
                            a 1948 Rudge rolling with the best of them, they can do your bikes,
                            too. Ask for David. The last machine he built up for me, a 1972 Falcon
                            San Remo, won Best of Show in its era category at the recent Cirque du
                            Cyclisme in Leesburg.

                            Peter Kohler