Outer CV Boots?

  • Joe Rakes
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6 9:21 PM
      Hey, Gang!
      Question: Does anybody have a good source for OE style outer CV joint
      boots for my '74 Eldo Conv? I think I have a tear developing in one,
      so I need to get to it before it gets out of hand. In the past, the
      Northstar brand boot kits were exact OE replacements, including the
      clamps (for which I have the correct "BandIt" tool for tightening.) My
      local auto parts store no longer carries these, although they are
      checking on a special order for me. Just thought I'd throw the
      question out to this group. I do NOT want a split boot kit, generic
      style, or non-OE type. I'd prefer not to have the Oetiker style
      clamps, preferring the original "BandIt" style, but those seem to be
      harder and harder to find.

      TIA!

      Joe
    • hondariceburner02
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8 10:33 AM
        WOW, you sure do know your CV joints. I just replaced the pass. side
        on my 72 Eldo with a split boot. Cleaned out the joint with brake
        cleaner and greased it up the supplied grease. Bit of a pain but it
        turned out OK. I know
        this is not what you are looking for. To put on an OE type boot I
        figure you would have to remove the axle and disassemble the CV
        joint.
        If that is the case then you would want to replace the CV joint with
        rebuilt. If you do that then you would want to do the other side.
        Then
        it appears you would want to just go out and buy replacement axel`s
        !!
        IS the car that nice and original that you would need to replace with
        OE? Perhaps it is,let us know! Or is it quality that concerns you.
        Anyhow, good luck in your Quest
        Chris

        --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Rakes" <jrakes@p...> wrote:
        > Hey, Gang!
        > Question: Does anybody have a good source for OE style outer CV
        joint
        > boots for my '74 Eldo Conv? I think I have a tear developing in
        one,
        > so I need to get to it before it gets out of hand. In the past, the
        > Northstar brand boot kits were exact OE replacements, including the
        > clamps (for which I have the correct "BandIt" tool for tightening.)
        My
        > local auto parts store no longer carries these, although they are
        > checking on a special order for me. Just thought I'd throw the
        > question out to this group. I do NOT want a split boot kit, generic
        > style, or non-OE type. I'd prefer not to have the Oetiker style
        > clamps, preferring the original "BandIt" style, but those seem to
        be
        > harder and harder to find.
        >
        > TIA!
        >
        > Joe
      • Joe Rakes
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8 11:25 AM
          The car certainly isn't anywhere near "show quality," but it is all
          original. (You can check out a couple of pics at
          http://pages.preferred.com/~jrakes/Margarita%201.jpg and
          http://pages.preferred.com/~jrakes/Margarita%202.jpg .)

          I've done a few CV joint rebuilds on the big FWD GM E-Bodies. I had
          a '76 Toronado previously, and now Miss Margarita, the '74 Eldo Conv.
          I've also done a couple for other folks. I've never been very
          confident with the split type boots, and have been warned about them
          by a few transmission and axle rebuilding places. I also like to
          disassemble the joint if the boot is torn so I can clean everything
          thoroughly. Disassembling the joint makes it just as easy to use the
          solid style boots during reassembly, and I prefer the OE type.

          The inner joints have never given me any trouble. I've looked briefly
          for rebuilt axle assemblies, but I can't seem to find one that has
          the torque damper on the RH side. I suspect if I did find one, the
          price would be prohibitive for me, at least currently... One of the
          great things about these big beasts, with their torque-monster
          engines, is that there is absolutely NO torque steer. That's
          accomplished to some degree by the RH torque damper in that axle, so
          I simply don't want to put a "standard" solid shaft in there.

          The car sits in storage most of the time, but I'll probably get her
          out later today. We're actually supposed to have nice, dry weather
          for a couple of days - WooHoo!!! I'll check the joints more closely
          then. In the meantime, if anybody has any leads on the OE type, let
          me know!

          Happy (top down) cruising, everybody :D

          Cadillac Joe

          --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "hondariceburner02"

        • Big_Eldos
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8 4:42 PM
            For a weekend cruiser, you will probably get lots of miles out of the split-type boot replacement.  When we were running these for everyday cars back in the 70's the boot replacement was just one of the things that you dealt with as a periodic maintenance item.

            But the coolness factor of driving a Big Eldo is well worth the price of admission.

            Brian

            PS...Glad to see some posting and useful dialogue starting on the board.
          • Joe Rakes
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8 5:15 PM
              Maybe the split / universal designs and materials have improved
              significantly in recent years. My quest continues, for now, though.
              Even if I don't need to replace a boot currently, I'd like to find a
              source... If I can't, I might try one of the split or universal
              designs when the time comes. Anybody have any recommendations on
              brands / sources for those?

              As for the periodic maintenance thing: I agree. It would be nice if
              the boots lasted for years and years or 10's of thousands of miles.
              But, I suppose I view them as any other "soft part," sort of like
              belts and hoses, which require occasional replacement. Considering
              the working environment of the boots, it's almost amazing that they
              last as long as they do!

              And as for the dialogue... Well, I'm sure there will be more along
              the way ;)

              Joe

              Message 6 of 7 , May 8 5:23 PM
                I was never a big NAPA customer until a couple of years ago.  They may have the split boot kits, or can order them.

                There was a local auto salvage yard near me that did exchange rebuilt axles.  Check in your area, or check with a place that does truck, and/or clutch repairs.

                Usually, after the boot is torn, the grease flies out, and dirt and water can contaminate the bearings.

                Every time I check out a front drive car, I take it to a parking lot, and do some circles with the windows down to listen for the "jingle" that the axles make when the bearings are shot.

                Good Luck,

                Brian
              • Joe Rakes
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8 8:22 PM
                  I've used NAPA for a few things over the years, but generally have
                  used Advance Auto and AutoZone. No Pep Boys here. Occasionally I also
                  use an independent parts dealer, particularly an AC dealer, as well
                  as the actual GM vehicle dealers' parts departments. The Northstar OE
                  type boots I'd gotten before came from Advance Auto.

                  I also rebuilt a set of axles myself several years ago for the '76
                  Toronado. I got the used ones at a salvage yard and worked out a deal
                  for them at $25 each if I'd bring back my old ones after rebuilding
                  those and swapping them out. At the time I was driving the "Black
                  Tornado" regularly, so I needed to minimize its downtime. The $50 for
                  good used ones to rebuild was worth it for me, as my vehicle downtime
                  was reduced to an afternoon.

                  Just FYI re: NAPA... Although I haven't needed them in several years,
                  they always had the original type valve stems for the FWD wheels at
                  about $4 each -. Original brass type w/ rubber seal, nut, black
                  coated stem, core, and cap. I figured that was pretty good, given
                  that they were always difficult to find. Whenever possible, I like to
                  replace them whenever I replace the tires, but just TRY to find a
                  tire dealer that stocks them... Well, at least a non-truck-stop /
                  semi-rebuilding place ;)