Horsepower for '75 Eldo?

  • saphoto1688
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
      I'm close to purchasing my first big Eldo. I noticed the HP rating for
      a '75 is only 190. Are these cars real slow? Can the emission controls
      be easily removed to release the power or does it have to do with
      compression ratios? I noticed the earlier cars were rated up to 400HP.
      Thanks for any info, Steve
    • Big_Eldos
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
        Sometime in the early to mid '70's the automakers changed the horsepower ratings from gross to net ratings.

        The mid 1970's cars are smog equipped and a 1975 will not run like a 1970 or 71 with the 500 inch motor, but they are great cruisers with more than adequate performance.

        There are many performance mods that you can do, and I would suspect that if you take off all of the smog related equipment, and possibly use a cam and heads from an earlier engine, you could make it run much faster.

        Here are a couple of links that you may find useful...

        good luck,

        Brian
      • Schnellbach, John
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
          Message
          You can also check out back issues of Hot Rod or Popular Hot Rodding within the last 2 years. One of them had a 500 Caddy buildup that yielded over 500 HP.

          Thanks,
          John Schnellbach

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
            Hi Brian,
            Thanks for the info!
            On Apr 12, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Big_Eldos wrote:

            > Sometime in the early to mid '70's the automakers changed the
            > horsepower ratings from gross to net ratings.
            >
            > The mid 1970's cars are smog equipped and a 1975 will not run like a
            > 1970 or 71 with the 500 inch motor, but they are great cruisers with
            > more than adequate performance.
            >
            > There are many performance mods that you can do, and I would suspect
            > that if you take off all of the smog related equipment, and possibly
            > use a cam and heads from an earlier engine, you could make it run much
            > faster.
            >
            > Here are a couple of links that you may find useful...
            >
            > http://www.cad500parts.com/
            >
            > http://www.ultimatecadillacresource.com/18/speed-parts-for-472-500-
            > cadillac.html
            >
            > good luck,
            >
            > Brian
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Service.

          • Steve Adams
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2005
              Hi John,
              Thanks for the info!
              Steve
              On Apr 12, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Schnellbach, John wrote:

              > You can also check out back issues of Hot Rod or Popular Hot Rodding
              > within the last 2 years. One of them had a 500 Caddy buildup that
              > yielded over 500 HP.
              >

              > Thanks,
              > John Schnellbach

            • Joe Rakes
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
                It's true that as the years passed into the '70's, power ratings
                generally declined, besides the change in the way the ratings are
                determined (SAE net vs "brake" hp.) I have a '74 Eldo Convertible,
                which is generally considered to be one of the worst years ever for
                power due to the then-new emissions requirements, low-lead gas, all
                sorts of things. But she will definitely get up and go. The 472 /
                500 / 425 / 368 Caddy engines, while declining in power as they
                evolved, were always torque monsters. There's a reason why there's
                still a demand for them in some racing circuits ;) Also, when you're
                talking about pulling the amount of weight of a typical '70's Caddy,
                torque rules.

                Another nicety is that they can be performance tuned, including the
                venerable Quadra-Jet carb. The Q-Jet models installed on those big 500
                cid motors were rated at 800 cfm, and can be tuned incredibly to
                provide decent mileage when driven moderately, but quite good
                performance when you open the secondaries.

                No, you're not going to beat a muscle car off the line or at a drag
                strip, but you CAN surprise some folks with the performance of these
                large cars :D

                Joe

                --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "saphoto1688" <saphoto@s...>