Re: [Big_Eldorado] Re: Moonroof 78 Eldo

  • Todd Overton
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
      O.K. Chris, I will try not to take major offense to the remarks about the 75-78 Eldos.  I won't disagree with you about the engines being choked down.  That is the only thing that I am not thrilled about with my 77 Biarritz.  However, I happen to love the cleaner lines of those models and I really love my thick, pillowy leather seats.  As for giant side mouldings, I am not sure what you are talking about on that.  I have also seen these cars with plain hubcaps versus painted ones and the painted ones really set off the looks of the car much better (on the 75-78 models only!).  These models made a nice transition to the next generation Eldos (79-85) which I also happen to like.

      Just so you know, I do like the 71-74 Eldos as well and would not kick one out of my garage by any means. I can appreciate your love of your body style, but am hoping that you won't be tempted to throw rocks at our 75-78 style cars if we get any where near you! Lol.

      hondariceburner02 <CDRR61@...> wrote:
      That car is every reason why I own a '72 and not a '78. That two
      tone is too much to deal with. Its bad enough that these cars are in
      your face big, but the 75 to 78's are just too flashy! The lines on
      the 71-74 Eldos are full of style, grace and class. Why they started
      putting those's flashy grills, giant side moldings,painted hub-
      caps,overstuffed padded vinyl tops etc is beyond me. I guess it was
      a sign of the times, Disco stew would love this car. I'm sure Super
      Fly had one too! Also, that car must be real -S-L-O-W-... .. A 425
      V8. I have a much larger 500 CID engine, you know, the one that's
      the largest Detroit production engine ever built! Not only is that
      engine smaller, but I bet its bogged down with all sorts of emissions
      crap. Late 70's GM cars had Highway gears for best MPG, real dogs
      out of the hole. I know, I know, all this is just my opinion. People
      make fun of my 72 , including my wife!
      I know some folks think this is a real sharp car. I do like the
      MOONROOF!!! Chris

      --- In Big_Eldorado@ yahoogroups. com, "76 Eldorado" <76eldo@...> wrote:

      > Someone in the group should grab this one...
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay. com/ebaymotors/ Cadillac- Eldorado- BIARRITZ- 1978-
      ELDORADO-BIARRITZ- CUSTOM-CLASSIC- NICE-CAR-
      RARE_W0QQcmdZViewIt emQQcategoryZ614 7QQihZ015QQitemZ 250168662376QQrd Z1Q
      QsspagenameZWDVW

      > Check it out.
      >
      > Brian

    • Todd Overton
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
        Buck,

        I agree that not everyone can accept the paint scheme.  However, it was definitely a sign of the times when that car was built.  Just like the houndstooth interior options.  I am not particularly fond of those, but I know that it was in keeping with that period in time.  That's what makes older cars so interesting.  If they were all just bland, cookie cutter, wind tunnel derived designs, would there be anyone really interested in them?

        Yes, Disco was the thing when our Eldos were new.  So be it.  I was a teen in the 70's and I am not ashamed of the fact that we liked disco. If everyone liked the same things, it would mean that we are not individuals.  Of course there are other people who can't fatham why we like these cars and that is fine.  I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions.  I just don't like it when someone goes too far in expressing their "distaste".  They never think about how it would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

          I too have been the "butt" of someones inconsiderate thoughts about how they disliked my car.  I can't say that it hasn't bothered me, but that all fades away when I climb behind the wheel of my huge, gold, pimp daddy Eldorado.  I love driving that car! (don't love the fuel economy though, but everything has its price)  Just keep this in mind.....there is a ton of things from the 70's that are back in "vogue" these days.  It sounds like you must have gotten a great deal on your car. I am glad to hear how happy it makes you and can totally relate.  Just keep in mind that although not everyone shares our love for these cars, you are not alone!  Happy Cruising!

        Todd (Cadcruiser)

        buck rogers <kemukta@...> wrote:
        Hi All,

        My 78 Eldo is also a Custom Biarritz Classic,
        identical to this one, with the exception that mine is
        one of 1500 without the sunroof. Mine has 18,000
        original miles, rides like an absolutely new car, and
        yes, the earth toned two-tone paint might not be to
        everyone's liking. In fact, I got a better deal on
        mine due to its paint scheme; the original owner
        finally decided he had had enough of it. Since the
        car sat with about 50 other Caddys in a heated garage
        anyway,had I been the original owner i would have kept
        it right where it was. I also wouldn't have sold it
        for what I paid for it, but boy, has it been an
        enjoyable introduction to the Classic Caddy world!
        These cars, while underpowered, still have enough
        torque to help them get out of their own way and they
        ride soooo well as compared to other rides of the day.
        I do love mine!!!

        > --- In Big_Eldorado@ yahoogroups. com, "76 Eldorado"
        > <76eldo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Someone in the group should grab this one...

        http://cgi.ebay. com/ebaymotors/ Cadillac- Eldorado- BIARRITZ- 1978-
        > ELDORADO-BIARRITZ- CUSTOM-CLASSIC- NICE-CAR-

        RARE_W0QQcmdZViewIt emQQcategoryZ614 7QQihZ015QQitemZ 250168662376QQrd Z1Q
        > QsspagenameZWDVW
        > >

        > > Check it out.
        > >
        > > Brian
        > >

        > A very nice car, and I certainly wouldn't mind
        > having it! I think
        > it's been listed before, but I'm not sure... The
        > only thing I
        > question is, since the car looks to be pretty well
        > kept overall,
        > what's the deal with that disastrous mess under the
        > hood? And,
        > frankly, the trunk isn't particularly appealing. But
        > a very nice car,
        > nonetheless! The trunk would be an afternoon's mild
        > effort cleanup.
        > The engine compartment would make a good weekend
        > cleanup project. And
        > oh, how it must just ooze down the highway...
        > AHHhhhh!
        >
        > Joe-Boy

        http://autos. yahoo.com/ index.html

      • buck rogers
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi Todd,

          Thanks for the kind words. These cars grow on you
          the longer you own them (thank God they don't grow any
          more themselves, though)!!
          Throw in a Saturday Night Fever 8-track and i am in
          heaven floating down I-90!! And you are right, I did
          get a great deal. My Custom Classic Biarritz, which
          is essentially as new, (18,000 miles and meticulously
          maintained) was a scant $5500. I had to pay $1000
          shipping because I had it delivered to my garage in
          Naches, Washington, but boy, do I love driving it to
          Seattle once or twice a year. My daughters and I
          always drive it to the WNBA Seattle Storm game in June
          on 70's night, and it never fails to draw an approving
          glance. It is an entirely different sort of glance I
          get when we take our '58 Edsel, which is also an
          extremely low miles car (22,000 original miles). That
          car I bought from an original owner as well who lost
          an oil plug on his way to San Fransisco in 1960, and
          after the motor seized, it was hauled back to
          Toppenish, Wa where it sat in his carport for thirty
          five years until i bought it in 1995. It has gone
          through a detailed restoration and is really fun, but
          there is nothing to compare with the fit, finish,
          comfort, and appointments of these late 70's Eldo's.
          What I absolutely love about these cars is that
          everything works, from the power windows to the seats
          to the antenna to the clock to absolutely everything
          else, as opposed to other luxury cars from the 70's,
          such as my 74 Lincoln Town Car, which was very well
          taken care of but still suffers from electric
          anomalies. As 70's cars cars go these were very
          built. And I love 'em!!

          http://sims.yahoo.com/
        • josephpmorgan@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007

            I personally think that they are all great!  It is the biggest kick for me to go to a car show and see one of these cars REGARDLESS as to the color or condition of the vehicle.

            On the music aspect, we all want to reflect back on this being the disco era, and truly it was.  I love to play my Wild Cherry eight track in my ’73 Coupe.  But we all must remember what sort of person was buying the car at the time, and what their taste in music was.  It was primarily a male in his 50’s and 60’s who probably lived through part of the depression and World War II.  Look at the demo tape for your eight track that came with your car.  In 1973 it was “The Sound of Elegance” with Arthur Fiedler and his Friends and the Boston Pops Orchestra.  The “guests” were Chet Atkins, Peter Nero and Duke Ellington.  They performed cover versions of “Eleanor Rigby”, “Hey Jude”, and “The Girl from Ipanema”.

            Now if that is not enough to knock yer socks off, I do not know what is!

            Joseph Morgan

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
              What a deal!!!!  That is kind of like winning the lottery in my book. I wanna say that I hate you for getting such a deal, but envy would be the most correct emotion.  It is great that your daughter likes the car as well.  Too bad that we don't live closer together.  We could cruise our big Eldo's together. lol.

              You are right about the accessories on the car.  I have heard the stories about the quality of American cars in the 70's and I have had a totally different experience.  My Biarritz is not the low mileage car like yours (I am pushing 70,000 miles now), but everything works just as it is supposed to.  Even my automatic power antenna works.  It has a problem though from a mistake made by the previous owner.  The tip must have come off of the mast and he put on a tip that was a larger diameter than the hole in the fender opening.  It wouldn't allow the antenna to go below the fender top.  As a result, sometimes it doesn't retract all of the way when I turn the key off.  This is why I just purchased the NOS antenna from Elliot's Radio that one of our group was kind enough to post.

              You are also correct about the type of buyer that picked these cars back then.  I remember that the owner of a company where my Grandfather worked in the early 70's always had a new Eldorado every year.  That guy had signs in the car that said no smoking, but he always had a big jar of pickles in the car.  It reaked of pickle smell! The guy was in his late 60's.  That is always the picture I get when I think of the people that bought these cars new.  Guess that means that I am just a crochety old man at heart since I love the big Caddy's. Lol.

              I love these cars and guess that I always will.  Am currently looking at a great low mileage 1973 Fleetwood.  The car is absolutely stunning.  Of course it is triple black.  I am sure that if I buy it I will hear unending comments about it being a funeral home car (which it was not).  It is just so new looking that I don't think that I can pass it up.

              Take care,
              Todd

              http://sims. yahoo.com/

            • Joe Rakes
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
                Hehhehheh... I love all the ostentatious styling and features of
                the '70s luxo-barges! When I drove Miss M to work, I was called "Pimp
                Daddy." And should I mention that I recorded some disco from CDs onto
                8-tracks to take along? ;-) (That's about as "retro" as it gets, I
                suppose...)

                And trust me, after a few days of driving this $#^@! Mitsubishi
                Galant, I'll take the lower mpg and and whatever else goes along with
                a big engined, iron and steel, American luxo-barge. If this rental
                car is what passes for a "full size luxury car" nowadays, then I've
                finally figured out what is wrong with society and the world in
                general. One thing's for sure: My preference for these big yachts has
                been reaffirmed several times over!

                Joe-Boy

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
                  I used to have a triple black Fleetwood Brougham, leather lined, and
                  loaded. And it WAS originally a funeral home car. It was used as
                  the "family car" for a few years, then the home's owner's wife drove
                  it for a while before I got it. That was one fantastic car! His name
                  was "Guido," thanks to the "mafia" comments I usually got... :-D

                  As for the accessories - I love all the gadgetry and comfort /
                  convenience items. The '81 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, Miss M,
                  Guido, and my '77 Seville were all very well optioned, on top of
                  being higher-end models to start with. And I don't consider a car
                  truly broken in until it has 100k on the clock. But I've never had
                  any problems whatsoever with the electrical features. In fact, one of
                  the things I can't stand with this rental car is the lack of such
                  things. OK, so mayne I've gotten a little spoiled driving these big
                  luxo-barges for 20+ years, but that's what I'm accustomed to.

                  Since when am I expected to actually turn on the lights when it gets
                  dark? And then I'm expected to turn them off again? Huh? What? And am
                  I supposed to actually manually bright / dim them? Don't get me
                  started on the constant fiddling with the heat & air to stay semi-
                  comfortable. I'm gonna get myself killed with that thing! I just
                  leave mine set on "Auto" and 69° year round - The car takes care of
                  me. OK, in the colder months I might occasionally have to switch over
                  to "Def" for a few minutes, but that's the extent of my involvement
                  with staying comfy. If I hit the button for the rear defog, even in
                  Miss M, the window is cleared quickly and the thing shuts itself off.
                  Not so in this "toaster on wheels!" It stayed on for an hour this
                  morning. I'm also getting a little tired of being electrocuted every
                  time I get in or out of the car - Leather doesn't do that. I had to
                  make an hour trip for work today, and my shoulders are still sore
                  from the lousy steering wheel position (which seems to be a
                  common "feature" in most of today's cars.) Adjusting the thing up and
                  down apparently requires a steel jock strap to prevent a painful
                  experience, so I'm not fooling with that lever again (the one on the
                  car...) And the wheel doesn't telescope, making me feel like I'm
                  leaning into the dash to reach it.

                  Having had two big '70s E-Bodies, Miss M and a '76 Toronado, I'm
                  accustomed to FWD. I was not, however, prepared for the incredible
                  torque steer when attempting to merge on the interstate this morning.
                  Not that the car has enough torque to do anything...

                  Long live the "Real Cars!"

> [...]

                  > > > A very nice car, and I certainly wouldn't mind
                  > > > having it! I think
                  > > > it's been listed before, but I'm not sure... The
                  > > > only thing I
                  > > > question is, since the car looks to be pretty well
                  > > > kept overall,
                  > > > what's the deal with that disastrous mess under
                  > > the
                  > > > hood? And,
                  > > > frankly, the trunk isn't particularly appealing.
                  > > But
                  > > > a very nice car,
                  > > > nonetheless! The trunk would be an afternoon's
                  > > mild
                  > > > effort cleanup.
                  > > > The engine compartment would make a good weekend
                  > > > cleanup project. And
                  > > > oh, how it must just ooze down the highway...
                  > > > AHHhhhh!
                  > > >
                  > > > Joe-Boy

                  > > Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a

                  story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
                  > http://sims.yahoo.com/

                • Joe Foerster
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2007
                    I have XM in my rides and I may want to hear '40s stuff whether I'm in my '49, my '58, my '71 or '73. Conversely, I sometimes have the Top Tracks/Big Tracks channels going, which are heavy on '70s classic rock, again regardless of the year of the car I'm driving. I like older stuff in general, But not when it comes to computers trying to run the latest HiDef video codecs. ;-)

                    On 10/1/07, josephpmorgan@... <josephpmorgan@...

                    --
                    Joe Foerster
                    North Hollywood, CA