Cruising with an incontinent, gassy Mistress

  • Joe Rakes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2007
      Had my day all planned out: Run some errands, go pick up Margarita,
      and spend the afternoon replacing the smog pump that was chirping
      last week, install all new belts while at it, and change the oil.
      Well, best laid plans and all that rot...

      Errands took far longer than I expected, but I managed to go get
      Margarita around 2pm. Now... Last week I got a whiff of gasoline one
      afternoon. But I'd gassed her up just before, so I thought I'd just
      spilled some down the filler neck or something and didn't think a
      thing about it. Well! Today when I started her up, I got more than a
      whiff... I thought I'd stuck my head into a gas pump. Upon looking at
      things, I saw a steady drip - Not quite a stream, but close - Of gas
      back near the rear axle. Yikes!

      I got her home, jacked her up, and crawled underneath. The 1/4"
      return hose from the chassis to the tank unit was in tatters! What
      the...?!? I'd replaced all three at the same time a few years ago
      and the others looked fine. But I've never seen anything quite like
      that one. The surface was peeling, flaking, and in shreds. (It
      reminded me of some oddly shaped flaky dinner roll...) The only thing
      I could figure was that, since all three are different sizes
      (diameters) they'd come off different rolls. Apparently the roll of
      1/4" hose was a bad batch.

      At any rate, a quick trip to O-Reilly's for some new hose, a few
      minutes to replace them (I did all three since I was under there
      doing the one) and all was well. But that little diversion ate up
      another chunk of my afternoon. I decided to press on with the other
      projects anyway...

      Pulled the smog pump and got to looking at it. It was "chirping" last
      week, hence I'd ordered a replacement which came in the other day.
      Apparently the old one was puking its guts out - After removing the
      diverter valve, the internal failure was obvious. A handful of metal
      fragments (not just little chips) fell out of both the pump and the
      diverter valve. The filter / shaft was so loose in the housing I
      honestly don't know what was keeping it all together. The thing had
      eaten its own guts and should have self destructed. But, I cleaned
      out the diverter valve reinstalled the pump, got all new belts on
      her, and changed the oil.

      Started her up and she was back to her silky smooth, quiet self,
      idling happily and serenely. Had a little ride around town for a few
      more errands and got lots of stares, comments, and even a few
      whistles from folks.

      So Joe-Boy has been out doing his topless cruising thing again. The
      weather was glorious, and is supposed to remain that way for another
      day or two. Whee!

      Later!
      Joe-Boy (& Miss Margarita, of course)