71 eldorado cv joint removal

  • joe f
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
      Hello,

      Trying to replace the passenger side CV joint on my 71 eldorado.

      I have the wheel off, center nut off, shaft broke free on the center of the axle, six bolts off of the transmission side on the axle, and four bolts off of the axle centering bracket (to the engine). My CV joint moves, just cant wiggle it free.

      Has anyone had to remove the shock to get enough clearance the get the joint out? I am trying to move the inside to the rear of the car towards the starter like the maintenance manual says.

      The joint is free and moving, just not enough to get it out.

      My shocks have an aftermarket strap on them to limit travel. The car has two stands under the frame, so I can jack under the axle to remove the strain on the strap and loosen the shock bolt.

      thanks for any guidance.
    • Brian Rachlin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
        You have to break loose the upper ball joint and the whole spindle needs to drop down.  It's either the top or bottom ball joint, I can't say without looking at the car but it will not come out unless you get if earthier apart.

        Be careful.

        Thank you,

        Brian Rachlin
        (Sent from my iPhone)

        On Dec 4, 2012, at 2:14 PM, "joe f" <humpydog@...> wrote:

        Hello,

        Trying to replace the passenger side CV joint on my 71 eldorado.

        I have the wheel off, center nut off, shaft broke free on the center of the axle, six bolts off of the transmission side on the axle, and four bolts off of the axle centering bracket (to the engine). My CV joint moves, just cant wiggle it free.

        Has anyone had to remove the shock to get enough clearance the get the joint out? I am trying to move the inside to the rear of the car towards the starter like the maintenance manual says.

        The joint is free and moving, just not enough to get it out.

        My shocks have an aftermarket strap on them to limit travel. The car has two stands under the frame, so I can jack under the axle to remove the strain on the strap and loosen the shock bolt.

        thanks for any guidance.

      • kevin elikan
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
          You do not have to remove the ball joints-too much work and dangerous. Just remove the shock and use a floor jack to level out the spindle

          To: Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com
          From: rachlin@...
          Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 17:13:27 -0500
          Subject: Re: [Big_Eldorado] 71 eldorado cv joint removal

        • josephpmorgan@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012

            I really admire you for your interest in doing this work.   I have a good friend that owns many auto parts stores and has been a gear head all of his live (70+ years) and he tell me that when it comes to changing out these CV joints, he has a mechanic do it and leaves it all up to him.  This type of thing is not like setting the points…

            Joe Morgan

            To: Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012
              If not I guess I'm thinking of the 79-85 cars. Consult the manual.

              Thank you,

              Brian Rachlin
              (Sent from my iPhone)

              To: Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com

                To: Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com

                  To: Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2012

                    I am parting out a 1971 eldo coupe. 33,000 original miles. All original-even has original belts and hoses! Blue body with white leather and door panels and blue dashboard and trim. Dash is perfect. Steering wheel is like new-still has the wood trim. Let me know what parts you need. email or call kevin at 847-269-2386

                    To: Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2012
                      got it done. Removed the starter and tie rod end and got it out.

                      I remember a post about rebuilts hitting something, mine clears nicely.

                      --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, Leon Phelps <humpydog@...> wrote:

                      > if anyone wants to see photos and maybe recommend anything,
                      >
                      > https://picasaweb.google.com/humpydog/20121204?authuser=0&feat=directlink
                      >

                      > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Leon Phelps <humpydog@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > manual does not say you need to do it.
                      > >
                      > > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Brian Rachlin <rachlin@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> **
                      > >>

                      > >> If not I guess I'm thinking of the 79-85 cars. Consult the manual.
                      > >>

                      > >> Thank you,
                      > >>
                      > >> Brian Rachlin
                      > >> (Sent from my iPhone)
                      > >>
                      > >> On Dec 4, 2012, at 5:34 PM, <josephpmorgan@...> wrote:
                      > >>

                      > >> I really admire you for your interest in doing this work. I have a
                      > >> good friend that owns many auto parts stores and has been a gear head all
                      > >> of his live (70+ years) and he tell me that when it comes to changing out
                      > >> these CV joints, he has a mechanic do it and leaves it all up to him. This
                      > >> type of thing is not like setting the points…****
                      > >>
                      > >> Joe Morgan
                      > >>
                      > >> ****

                    • Brian Rachlin
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 5, 2012
                        I never had to remove a starter to do this, always remember breaking a ball joint loose. But, it's in and it's done so congrats!  Now take a nice ride.

                        Thank you,

                        Brian Rachlin
                        (Sent from my iPhone)