Heater core on '78 Eldorado

  • elmer1d
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2011
      The heater core is out on my '78 Eldorado. I've started taking some of the lower parts under the dash off that are under the heater core. I've looked in the repair book and it basically says to take the whole dash out. Have any of you had to do this daunting task of replacing your heater core the big Eldorado? Would appreciate some good advice. This is too bad this happened, I had to replace the radiator also, (but that was a piece of cake)as this car sat in a garage for 30 years and it rotted out the copper and brass. Just finishing up replacing the rubber fender extensions, look great.
      Thanks
      Dennis
    • Stephan Kozanda
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2011
        I already had to do this twice, once on my '75 CDV and also on my '75 Eldo.
        The '75 Eldo should have the same heater core box as your '78 so check out
        the photos I took during this project:
        http://www.houseofcadillacs.com/cars/mandarin/technical/heatercore/index.htm

        It looks worse than it is. Just take your time and make sure you mark/write
        down all fastener locations and how stuff goes together and you'll be able
        to get this done in a day. No special tools need either.

        Good luck,
        Stephan

        > The heater core is out on my '78 Eldorado. I've started taking some of the
        > lower parts under the dash off that are under the heater core. I've looked
        in
        > the repair book and it basically says to take the whole dash out. Have any
        of
        > you had to do this daunting task of replacing your heater core the big
        > Eldorado? Would appreciate some good advice. This is too bad this
        > happened, I had to replace the radiator also, (but that was a piece of
        cake)as
        > this car sat in a garage for 30 years and it rotted out the copper and
        brass.
        > Just finishing up replacing the rubber fender extensions, look great.
        > Thanks
        > Dennis

      • Denis Davey
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2011
          Thank you for your advice and the pictures, I am going to have mark everything to make sure it goes back together right. It sure is a project though isn't it. Thanks to guys like you who have taken the time to take pictures while doing the project, makes things easier for the rest of us. I have to wait until next week to work on it, but I'll let you know how it turns out.
          Take care and have a good one.
          Dennis Davey