Rear Suspension Upgrade for 1976 Eldorado

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2006
      Hi All,

      I have a 1976 Eldorado convertible that has air shocks (load leveler
      suspension?) in the rear.

      Does anyone know of a good retro-fitting set of hydraulic shocks or
      something else that would replace the original air suspension?

      Thanks!

      Tom in Rockford, Illinois
    • Joe Foerster
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2006
        I assume you mean that the shocks or original compressor are bad and the shocks no longer adjust?

        You can replace then with aftermarket air shocks like Monroe MaxAir, or you can use conventional shocks and get the air-bag load levelers that go inside the coil springs. You can also simply replace the springs with non-ALC springs and use regular shocks, eliminating the air adjustment all together.
        --
        Joe Foerster
        North Hollywood, CA

      • Tom@usaweb1.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2006
          Hi Joe,

          Thanks for your response.

          Can the Monroe MaxAir shocks be inflated manually with an air hose?  I would prefer to not have to mess with getting the compressor, etc.

          Hey, I checked out your http://bobnjoe.com/cad/ Web site.  That "Cassie" is a beauty.

          Thanks.

          Tom
        • Joe Foerster
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
            Thanks Tom,

            Yes, the MaxAir filler hoses can just be routed to a convenient spot to place the filler valve. Cassie currently has regular shocks but will eventually get replacement springs and an air bag setup.
            --
            Joe Foerster
            North Hollywood, CA