1976 Fan Clutch?

  • bbouxse
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
      Hello,

      Can anyone tell me if the 76 eldo originally had fan clutches or not?

      Thanks,

      Ben
    • D Friedman
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
        They do. They end up freezing and the fan stays on all the time.

        On Sun Apr 11th, 2010 8:50 PM EDT bbouxse wrote:

        >Hello,
        >
        >Can anyone tell me if the 76 eldo originally had fan clutches or not?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Ben

      • 76 Eldorado
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
          I am 99% sure they never had a fan clutch.  The fan is rigidly mounted to the water pump with an aluminum spacer block (I think).

          A shop manual would tell you for sure.  Let me know if you need one.

          Brian
        • bbouxse
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
            I dont have a 76 shop manual, but my 74 manual says they were on cars with AC, and that non-ac cars with HD cooling did not have a clutch. Weird. I have only looked at a few other 76's and those did not have a clutch.

            --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "76 Eldorado" <76eldo@...> wrote:

            > I am 99% sure they never had a fan clutch. The fan is rigidly mounted to the water pump with an aluminum spacer block (I think).
            >
            > A shop manual would tell you for sure. Let me know if you need one.
            >
            > Brian

          • Todd Overton
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
              Ben,

              I can't speak with any authority for the 76 models, but I can verify that both my 77 Eldorado and my 73 Fleetwood do not utilize a fan clutch (which is a correct set-up per my factory shop manuals for both cars).  The fans on these two cars are of different construction than the normal fan.  They are what is referred to as flex blade fans as opposed to the rigid blades on regular fans.  The flex blades change pitch according to engine RPMs thus eliminating the need for a clutch.  I am not sure, but temperature may also factor in to the blade pitch response.  You can tell if your fan is a flex blade unit because the trailing edges of the blade will be somewhat flexible and remind you more of a thick type of sheetmetal versus the solid blade version. On the very trailing edge of the flex blades you will also see that the blade metal has been folded over which creates a thick and stiff edge.  Also, on my Eldorado, there is no space allowance in front of the fan that would allow for the addition of a fan clutch. Again, not sure if the set-up on the 76 models are similar as I realize that the 76 had the 500 engine and the 77 dropped down to the 425. Hope that this helps you to at least determine which type of fan is on your car.

              Todd

              I am 99% sure they never had a fan clutch.  The fan is rigidly mounted to the water pump with an aluminum spacer block (I think).

              A shop manual would tell you for sure.  Let me know if you need one.

              Brian
            • Jim Rau
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010

                There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this: clutch or no clutch!  However  I checked my ’74 convertible Eldorado with A/C and it has flexible fan blades and a clutch.  The shop manual also list these items.  My car was manufactured late in the “car-year” April 1974

                JIM

[...]

              • Dan Friedman
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
                  Same here. Mine is a 75. I think all eldorados had a/c in the 70's. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

                  From: "Jim Rau" <jkrau@...>
                  Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:26:39 -0400
                  To: <Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                • SKY-BIKER
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
                    76's all had clutch on the fan.

                    Live & Let Fly,

                    Wayne Mitchler
                    SKY-BIKER Aviation Inc.
                    520-233-3134
                    www.paracruiser.com/skybiker

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010

                      I also had a 1970 Eldorado, non Convertible, it had A/C and a clutched fan

                      JIM

                      Same here. Mine is a 75. I think all eldorados had a/c in the 70's. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

                      From: "Jim Rau" <jkrau@...>

                      Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:26:39 -0400

                      To: <Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
                        Jim,

                        What year manual is the excerpt from that you posted? The whole clutch/no clutch issue is not a big deal.  It just has gotten my curiosity up and it would be interesting to learn what Cadillac did during those years for this. I have to work at my second job tonight, but I will try to remember to look at the illustrations again in both my manuals to see if they indicate that the flex fan was only used on non A/C cars. To be honest, I never paid any attention to anything that may have been mentioned for non A/C cars as the lion's share of these cars were all equipped with A/C by that time.  Both of my cars have factory A/C.  It is not without possibility that a previous owners removed the clutch from either car, but I could have sworn that the manuals showed that set-up as being correct for A/C cars.  I also forgot about the spacer that is used with the flex fan, so it looks like you could mount a clutch if the spacer was removed.  Shouldn't have tried to go from memory.  That will teach me to have the manual in front of my face before I open mouth and insert foot. Lol.

                        I have been into the shop manual quite a bit lately for my 77 Eldorado. I am currently performing quite a bit of maintenance updates as I plan to take it on a 2000+ mile trip out Route 66 with a group of fellow car club members.  We start the trip on Memorial Day weekend.  Problem is, I have come up with such a big list that I am probably going to run out of time before I get everything done (such as replace all P/S hoses and filter, brake hoses, rotors, calipers, pads, replace hinge pins and bushings on D/S door, R&R condensor with new style for R134 - Classic Air in Florida now has new micro tube style condensors with factory mounting brackets and hose hook ups - it is supposed to be a direct replacement which I hope is true,... and my list goes on and on).  If I run into a major obstacle and can't get the car ready in time, I will go to plan B and take the 73 Fleetwood for which I will be more paranoid about as it is a very low mileage original car.

                        Thanks,
                        Todd

                        From: "Jim Rau" <jkrau@sbcglobal. net>

                        Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:26:39 -0400