transmission question

  • J K Rau
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7 12:14 PM

      I have a 1974 Eldorado with 32, 804 original miles.  All of a sudden “reverse” is slipping badly or is not working, on level driveway.  Forward gears seem OK.  The transmission was flushed, the filter and oil replaced at 26,947 on 08/24/07.  There is a minor transmission pan gasket leak.  However the “hot” oil level is still between the full and the add marks, about a ½ pint low. The oil looks clean and that is not a “burned” odder to it.

      If I place the shift lever in “Drive” applying the brakes and accelerate, the engine RPM is limited because the transmission is trying to move the car forward.  On the other hand, with the brakes applied or NOT, in “reverse the engine continues to rev up and the car does not move, the engine RPM is Not limited.

      There does not seem to be any unusual noise coming from the transmission.  I did have BOTH front wheel bearing/hubs replaced at 31,650 on 10/12/09.  The left side was noisy, while driving.  The mechanic stated the right was warn and would need to be replacing in near future.

      Any suggestion???

      JIM

    • James
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7 2:19 PM
        Jim,
          Is your linkage sloppy?  The first thing I would do is to get underneath and operate the lever by hand to see if there is a simple mechanical issue.  There is also a possibility that something is sticking in the valve body from lack of use.  So, the second step is to check the oil pressure.  Normal p.s.i. should be in the 95 - 150 range when in reverse, brakes on, engine at 1000 rpm.  This should be done by someone who has experience.  You don't want to do this test for more than two minutes.

        Wheel bearing wear is not uncommon at 130,000 miles, but at just 32,000??.  Bearings can dry out, especially if not used much in 35 years.  It is not good for cars to sit around unused.  This applies to the transmission too.  The control valve assembly in the transmission has lots of small passages and parts that need to slide against spring pressure.  They can stick from lack of use.  Just driving it in the hot weather, or just when you get the transmission good and hot, might just free it up, so don't get talked into a hasty major repair.
        Jim ( also )
      • J K Rau
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7 3:49 PM

          Jim, when I place the shift lever in “reverse” I can feel the car trying to move in reverse.  I also tried to place the shift lever on leading and trailing the reverse position, with no change.  The “drive” shift lever position seems to have a wide area.  There does not seem to be a positive detent, like that is for second and reverse.  However, as I mentioned it sees to drive OK in the forward direction.  I have a steep driveway.  It does not seem to slip in drive or low up the hill.

          Thanks for the time warning.  The shop manual also stated that two minute concern.

          If it is a dirty or sticky component is it safe to use a auto transmission additive?  If SO, do you have any recommendations?

          Also. I have replaced most of the rubber vacuum lines from and to the carburetor.  The shop manual shows a steel tube to the vacuum modulator on the transmission.  It also shows a short piece of rubber hose between the steel tubing and the fitting on the modulator.  Would the modulator have any relationship to the reverse failure?  I will check the modulator and the shifting linkage tomorrow.  Sunday is forecasted to be a nice worm day here in the north east.

          Thanks, in advance for your help.