Re: ECM (computer)

  • Joe Rakes
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2005
      Ayup... My '77 Seville went a meager 300k+ miles on its original EFI
      system :D

      The ECM on the Sevilles is located under the dash in the center, below
      the radio, directly above the trans hump, and has a black cover over
      it. Not sure about the C & E bodies, though... Also, there were
      specific ECM's for each model, and further specific units for Cali vs
      49-state vehicles besides tweaks from year to year. I suspect the
      latter two items, however, were more related to emissions tuning and
      tweaking, whereas the model-specific changes were for the different
      engine displacements, i.e. 350 (Seville) vs 500 / 425 / 368 (C & E
      bodies.) I'd recommend trying to use the correct ECM for your vehicle
      if at all possible.

      Tip: Skip the Haynes and Chilton manuals and get the factory service
      manuals. They'll tell you all you need to know and then some. There is
      also a specific EFI supplement that is quite useful for diagnosing
      specific problems.

      Joe

      --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "davidinhartford@j..."
      <davidinhartford@j...> wrote:

      > The optional Cadillac Fuel Injection system came out in 1975 for the
      Eldorados and was used up thru the 78s. It was Standard equipment on
      the 75-79 SeVilles too.

    • prescoassociates
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 19, 2006
        The ECU (computer) is located under the lower dash just above the
        glovebox in the Eldos. I installed my alarm sitting on top of it in my
        76' Eldo.
      • James Baker
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 19, 2006
          Don't tell me my dream car has a cursed computer! I have an early '76 convert with carb. Does it have one? Also, need source for heater core. thanks

          "Laissez les bons, temps roulette" James Baker

          Yahoo! Photos
        • David Jolliff
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 19, 2006
            NO!!! You are safe. If it had fuel injection you would
            be in the same boat as the early Seville folks.