Whoops! Help

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11 6:47 AM
      Hi,

      I borrowed my older brother's 1974 Convertible (I own a 1973 Custom Cabriolet Coupe, so this normally would never happen!) and am having trouble getting the convertible top back to its closed position. I was able to lower and raise the top fine the other day. But yesterday, I lowered the top and drove it about all day, but when I tried to raise and close the top, it got bound up.
      The passenger side scissor arms seem to "lead", but as I am using the power assist to close the top, the driver's side arm seems to need some help. The back to the driver's side arm is rubbing against the metal bar that frames the top of the rear glass window. The driver's side arm seems to be able to travel up, but it does not travel in the same forwardly direction as the arm on the passenger's side. Rather than force it, I have left it in a partially closed/open position.
      I do own the service manual as well as the Fisher body manual for my 1973 automobile, and I imagine that the convertible top configeration is the same for both the 1973 and the 1974 model year.
      Is there a simple way that I can "coax" the top closed again, or do you feel that I should take it along with my service manuals to a reputable mechanic for professional assistance.
      This always happens when I borrow one of my older brother's cars...

      Thank you!

      Joe
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18 10:06 PM
        All the 71-76 Gm convertibles had the same mechanism so yes the 73 and 74 eldos would have the same top. The most common thing I see is the middle bow ends up pivoting the wrong way. When the top is about even with the back of the front seat look to make sure the short arms it hooks to are pointing to the back. My bet is the drivers side one has flipped around and is pointing to the front. The few times this has happened to me I just removed the nut that holds that short arm to the main arm and flipped it around the correct direction. I believe there are some cables in the top material that are supposed to make that thing go the correct direction. My car is missing those so I have just got used to checking that as it comes up. I never tried to put mine all the way up or back down with that bar the wrong way. I imagine it could do some damage.