Rear Suspension- Why is my gal's rear sagging?? haa

  • griffithprinting
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13, 2009
      OK Gang,

      After talking to a few mechanics, they all give me the 'total suspension' restore quote. I'm still alittle ignorant on this.

      I have a 1976 Eldo, 64K miles. The rear is sagging, and the compressor is dead (and will not be replaced).

      Is the fix new shocks or new springs? Who has gone through this, and what was the fix. Remember, I'm not gonna do anything with air adjusting.

      Much Appreciated,
      Printer Drew
    • Brian Rachlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 13, 2009
        If you don't want to repair the complete self-leveling system, just get a set of air shocks, and have them installed.  The will need to mount an air fitting either by drilling a small hole in the bottom of the bumper, or behind the license plate.

        Just fill up the air shocks to the level you want, and that's it.

        Brian
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 13, 2009
          I have aftermarket air shocks on several cars and find that the tires need more attention than the shocks so its really no big deal. I would wonder what replacement springs would be designed for since the air ride was standard on the eldos, in theory they would be designed to work with the air shocks so they would not help if you did not fix the shocks.
        • griffithprinting
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 13, 2009
            Much appreciated (especially Tony-I hate bothering ya)

            But do the springs ever go bad? I don't believe they're the issue, and therefore not in need of replacement.

            I told a mechanic I wanted adjustable shocks (to adjust for my appearance taste). I don't want any air inflating shocks.

            Sooo, do shocks lift the rear, or springs?
          • Tony
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 13, 2009
              The replacement shocks are the almost identical to the originals. The look like regular shocks but they are slightly fatter and have a rubber bladder in the joint between the 2 sections and a fitting on the side. The set I bought in the fall was about $80. Some come with the air lines some dont so make sure you check. The air lines are less than $10 if they dont come with it. I installed mine on my 75 in october and have not touched the air pressure. My 73 came with aftermarket ones that were at least 20 years old when I finally replaced them last summer. I tow my 17'fiberglass boat with that car and usually would only add some air in the spring the first time I hitched up the boat, regular driving I did not notice they were low, only when I added the weight of the boat. The new shocks really made the car ride better and getting it to look right was just a bonus.
            • griffithprinting
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 13, 2009
                So Tony, do you still have the original springs?
              • James
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 13, 2009
                  The rear suspension is designed to have adjustable shocks.  They adjust the ride height of the car and that height effects the front-end allignment and aim of the headlights.  The shocks work with the springs.  The amount of air pressure in the system sets the height, as well as the firmness of the ride.  You do not have to use the automatic adjustment system with its compressor, but you do have to install air-adjustable shocks.  Months of engineering go into the design and testing of a suspension system.  That is especially true of an Eldorado since the suspension, like the front-wheel-drive, is a key part of the design. You can't just choose anything you want  for key components and expect everything else to work properly.
                • Tony
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 14, 2009
                    --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "griffithprinting" <griffithprinting@...> wrote:

                    > So Tony, do you still have the original springs?

                    Yep all may cars have original springs as far as I know. The shocks I took off my 75 this fall sure looked original so I doubt anyone changed the springs.
                  • David Jolliff
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 14, 2009
                      I have heard some chat about installing Oldsmobile Toronado springs. It had a much crisper taut suspension. Eaton spring would be a good starting point.
                      Dr. Dave  Modesto, CA

                      I have aftermarket air shocks on several cars and find that the tires need more attention than the shocks so its really no big deal. I would wonder what replacement springs would be designed for since the air ride was standard on the eldos, in theory they would be designed to work with the air shocks so they would not help if you did not fix the shocks.

                    • RUSSELL DABNEY
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 16, 2009
                        where do you find those shocks. I need some bad for my 1973 Eldordo
                        thanks
                        russell

                        > To: Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: doornobk@...
                        > Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 04:17:24 +0000
                        > Subject: [Big_Eldorado] Re: Rear Suspension- Why is my gal's rear sagging?? haa
                        >
                        > The replacement shocks are the almost identical to the originals. The look like regular shocks but they are slightly fatter and have a rubber bladder in the joint between the 2 sections and a fitting on the side. The set I bought in the fall was about $80. Some come with the air lines some dont so make sure you check. The air lines are less than $10 if they dont come with it. I installed mine on my 75 in october and have not touched the air pressure. My 73 came with aftermarket ones that were at least 20 years old when I finally replaced them last summer. I tow my 17'fiberglass boat with that car and usually would only add some air in the spring the first time I hitched up the boat, regular driving I did not notice they were low, only when I added the weight of the boat. The new shocks really made the car ride better and getting it to look right was just a bonus.

                        > <*> Your email settings:
                        > Individual Email | Traditional
                        >
                        > <*> To change settings online go to:
                        > (Yahoo! ID required)
                        >
                        > <*> To change settings via email:
                        > mailto:Big_Eldorado-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        > mailto:Big_Eldorado-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Tony
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 16, 2009
                          --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, RUSSELL DABNEY <sailswift@...> wrote:

                          > where do you find those shocks. I need some bad for my 1973 Eldordo
                          >
                          > thanks
                          >
                          > russell

                          Napa part number : NS MA751
                          note says it need line kit : NS AK16
                          but in the photo of the shocks the kit is there so I would order the air kit and if they turn out to be with the shocks just return em.

                          Oriley is the same except no NS in their number. Even the same photo and note about the line kit.