COMPLETELY LOCKED PASSENGER DOOR - 1971 ELDORADO

  • nanardos2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I have a completely locked passenger door on my 71 Eldorado that I've
      just received from the US (I'm in France).

      I've tried with the key , with both inside handles, with one friend
      outside / me inside, etc, but it won't open.

      I can't remove the interior panel either...

      The seller says that a "rod" may I fallen inside during the shipping
      (I don't understand this).

      Any ideas ?

      Regards

      BL
    • Marc Cohen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        It sounds to me more like you have a non-functional door lock mechanism rather than a dettached rod as there are at leats 2 rods, the detacching of one which would not likely render the other(s) non-funtional.  Ie. there is one rod from the interior door button to the lock and one from the solenoid to the lock (assuming you have power locks).  Nevertheless, I would still try the old fashined route of using either a hanger shaped in an 'L' position or a "Slim Jim" which is a strip of metal with almost an anchor shaped notching at the end to snag the actual locking mechanism inside the door at the rear.  You may wish to look at the service manual X-ray of teh door to get a feel for the lock mechanism.

        Marc

      • josephpmorgan@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008

          BL,

          Sometimes the power door lock solenoid freezes shut making it very difficult if not impossible to open the door.  Are the door handles or button moving freely and nothing is moving on the inside, or does it seem really hard to pull the handle or push the button?  If it is the later, it is your solenoid.  Those often times come up for sale on eBay.

          Joe Morgan

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, <josephpmorgan@...> wrote:
            >HI,

            The two inside handles and the outside button seem to move "normally".
            but when I push the door lock buttons (both sides) the door lights
            come down which seems to show some elecrical malfunction or
            resistance.
            If I have to replace the solenoid, how can I open the door anyway ?

            Regards

            BL
            > BL,
            >

            > Sometimes the power door lock solenoid freezes shut making it very
            difficult
            > if not impossible to open the door. Are the door handles or button
            moving
            > freely and nothing is moving on the inside, or does it seem really
            hard to
            > pull the handle or push the button? If it is the later, it is your
            > solenoid. Those often times come up for sale on eBay.
            >

            > Joe Morgan
            >

            > _____

          • nanardos2000
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
              --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "nanardos2000"
              <bernardlemaire1@...> wrote:

              Hi,

              Could someone send me a scan/picture of the door mechanism
              system/assembly so that I understand better how to sort this out ?

              Regards

              BL

              > --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, <josephpmorgan@> wrote:
              > >HI,
              >
              > The two inside handles and the outside button seem to
              move "normally".
              > but when I push the door lock buttons (both sides) the door lights
              > come down which seems to show some elecrical malfunction or
              > resistance.
              > If I have to replace the solenoid, how can I open the door anyway ?
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > BL
              > > BL,
              > >

              > > Sometimes the power door lock solenoid freezes shut making it
              very
              > difficult
              > > if not impossible to open the door. Are the door handles or
              button
              > moving
              > > freely and nothing is moving on the inside, or does it seem
              really
              > hard to
              > > pull the handle or push the button? If it is the later, it is
              your
              > > solenoid. Those often times come up for sale on eBay.
              > >

              > > Joe Morgan
              > >

              > > _____

            • Joe Rakes
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                Does the driver's side door lock / unlock normally with the armrest
                switches? If so, and the passenger door doesn't, I'd suspect a
                stuck / frozen lock solenoid in that door. It's a common problem,
                actually.

                I'm assuming you can't pull up the manual lock knob on top of the
                door. Have you tried pulling up on that while using the "unlock"
                switch?

                To see how the assembly is installed and connected, you could remove
                the trim panel from the driver's door and have a look in there. The
                passenger's side would be the same, just "reversed."

                Just some thoughts... Best of luck with it!

                Joe-Boy

                <bernardlemaire1@...> wrote:

                > --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "nanardos2000"
                > <bernardlemaire1@> wrote:
                >
                > Hi,
                >
                > Could someone send me a scan/picture of the door mechanism
                > system/assembly so that I understand better how to sort this out ?
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > BL
                > >
                > > --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, <josephpmorgan@> wrote:
                > > >HI,
                > >
                > > The two inside handles and the outside button seem to
                > move "normally".
                > > but when I push the door lock buttons (both sides) the door
                lights
                > > come down which seems to show some elecrical malfunction or
                > > resistance.
                > > If I have to replace the solenoid, how can I open the door
                anyway ?

                > > Regards
                > >
                > > BL
                > > > BL,
                > > >

                > > > Sometimes the power door lock solenoid freezes shut making it
                > very
                > > difficult
                > > > if not impossible to open the door. Are the door handles or
                > button
                > > moving
                > > > freely and nothing is moving on the inside, or does it seem
                > really
                > > hard to
                > > > pull the handle or push the button? If it is the later, it is
                > your
                > > > solenoid. Those often times come up for sale on eBay.
                > > >

                > > > Joe Morgan
                > > >

                > > > _____

              • Marc Cohen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008

                  Bernard:

                  I have a service manual for the 75 which is likely very similar (if not the same).  I don't have the manual with me but can scan it to you tonight or tomorrow if you haven't received it by then from someone else.

                  Marc

                  ymailto="mailto:Big_Eldorado%40yahoogroups.com">Big_Eldorado@ yahoogroups. com] On
                  > > Behalf Of nanardos2000
                  > > Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:15 AM
                  > > To: Big_Eldorado@ yahoogroups. com
                  > > Subject: [Big_Eldorado] COMPLETELY LOCKED PASSENGER DOOR - 1971
                  > ELDORADO
                  > >

                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I have a completely locked passenger door on my 71 Eldorado that
                  > I've
                  > > just received from the US (I'm in France).
                  > >
                  > > I've tried with the key , with both inside handles, with one
                  friend
                  > > outside / me inside, etc, but it won't open.
                  > >
                  > > I can't remove the interior panel either...
                  > >
                  > > The seller says that a "rod" may I fallen
                  inside during the
                  > shipping
                  > > (I don't understand this).
                  > >
                  > > Any ideas ?
                  > >
                  > > Regards
                  > >
                  > > BL

                • nanardos2000
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                    --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Rakes" <jrakes1@...> wrote:

                    Hi,

                    The drivers door doesn't lock /unlock with the switch either.
                    Thanks for your other suggestions, I will try and let you know what
                    happens.

                    > Does the driver's side door lock / unlock normally with the armrest
                    > switches? If so, and the passenger door doesn't, I'd suspect a
                    > stuck / frozen lock solenoid in that door. It's a common problem,
                    > actually.
                    >
                    > I'm assuming you can't pull up the manual lock knob on top of the
                    > door. Have you tried pulling up on that while using the "unlock"
                    > switch?
                    >
                    > To see how the assembly is installed and connected, you could
                    remove
                    > the trim panel from the driver's door and have a look in there. The
                    > passenger's side would be the same, just "reversed."
                    >
                    > Just some thoughts... Best of luck with it!
                    >
                    > Joe-Boy
                    >

                    > --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "nanardos2000"
                    > <bernardlemaire1@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "nanardos2000"
                    > > <bernardlemaire1@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > Could someone send me a scan/picture of the door mechanism
                    > > system/assembly so that I understand better how to sort this out ?
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > >
                    > > BL

                    > > > The two inside handles and the outside button seem to
                    > > move "normally".
                    > > > but when I push the door lock buttons (both sides) the door
                    > lights
                    > > > come down which seems to show some elecrical malfunction or
                    > > > resistance.
                    > > > If I have to replace the solenoid, how can I open the door
                    > anyway ?
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards
                    > > >
                    > > > BL

                    > > very
                    > > > difficult
                    > > button
                    > > > moving
                    > > really
                    > > > hard to
                    > > your

                  • nanardos2000
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                      --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, Marc Cohen <marc@...> wrote:
                      >HI Marc,

                      Thanks very much , this should be of great help.

                      BL

                      > Bernard:
                      > I have a service manual for the 75 which is likely very similar (if
                      not the same).  I don't have the manual with me but can scan it to
                      you tonight or tomorrow if you haven't received it by then from
                      someone else.
                      > Marc

                      ELDORADO

                      > --- In Big_Eldorado@ yahoogroups. com, "nanardos2000"
                      > <bernardlemaire1@ ...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Could someone send me a scan/picture of the door mechanism
                      > system/assembly so that I understand better how to sort this out ?
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > BL
                      > >
                      > > --- In Big_Eldorado@ yahoogroups. com, <josephpmorgan@ > wrote:
                      > > >HI,
                      > >
                      > > The two inside handles and the outside button seem to
                      > move "normally".
                      > > but when I push the door lock buttons (both sides) the door
                      lights
                      > > come down which seems to show some elecrical malfunction or
                      > > resistance.
                      > > If I have to replace the solenoid, how can I open the door
                      anyway ?

                      > > Regards
                      > >
                      > > BL
                      > > > BL,
                      > > >

                      > > > Sometimes the power door lock solenoid freezes shut making it
                      > very
                      > > difficult
                      > > > if not impossible to open the door. Are the door handles or
                      > button
                      > > moving
                      > > > freely and nothing is moving on the inside, or does it seem
                      > really
                      > > hard to
                      > > > pull the handle or push the button? If it is the later, it is
                      > your
                      > > > solenoid. Those often times come up for sale on eBay.
                      > > >

                      > > > Joe Morgan
                      > > >

                      > > > _____

                    • nanardos2000
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 18, 2008
                        --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, "nanardos2000"
                        <bernardlemaire1@...> wrote:

                        Solenoid was stuck, I had cut the rod .

                        > --- In Big_Eldorado@yahoogroups.com, Marc Cohen <marc@> wrote:
                        > >HI Marc,
                        >
                        > Thanks very much , this should be of great help.
                        >
                        > BL
                        >
                        > > Bernard:
                        > > I have a service manual for the 75 which is likely very similar
                        (if
                        > not the same).  I don't have the manual with me but can scan it to
                        > you tonight or tomorrow if you haven't received it by then from
                        > someone else.
                        > > Marc

                      • Marc Cohen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 18, 2008

                          Bernard:

                          I was wondering how you made out!  Glad to hear it worked out for you.