Nexus 7 speed question

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2009
      I have the opportunity to pick up a a NOS Shimano 7 speed hub and shifter fairly inexpensively--but it's a coaster brake model. I'm personally not real fond of coaster brakes on my own bikes, so I'm wondering whether the coaster can be removed as an assembly --like he roller brake can--and just use rim brakes.

      I've searched the web but this particular issue doesn't seem to have come up.

      Any advice?

    • Forbes Black
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2009
        Hi John,

        Wish I could help you, but I just don't know.

        I do know that lots of folks over at the Kogswell group,

        are crazy for coasters, so I'll forward your message over to them.  Also, if you could not remove the coaster brake mechanism, one of them might be interested in buying the hub from you.

        - Forbes Black, Santa Clarita, CA

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2009

          I’m pretty sure the coaster brakes are internal rather than attached externally like some roller brakes.

          So you’d need to take the hub apart and at the least remove the brake shoes. That opens up the possibility

          of having something move too far and cause some damage. So the answer is maybe.

          I may have an exploded view around somewhere.

          Steve Birmingham

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2009

            I ran across this site looking for an online diagram of a nexus 7  (didn’t find a diagram)

            Anyway, It’s funny/sad/ aggravating.  The “expert” claims to have “seen it all done it all”

            I read a few of the items, and I’ve got to say …… Well, lets just not say THAT.

            He’s pretty ignorant, which is funny for an “expert” But it’s sad that he gives such poor advice to

            people that need correct answers. And it makes me a bit mad that he gives such bad advice which

            will put some people off cycling altogether.

            http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bicycle-Repair-1824/indexExp_81456.htm

            My favorite so far is the people that need a pulley for a Fuji branded Suntour  vx. And he goes on about

            pulleys being either megarange or “standard long cage” whatever that is.

            While he’s named Steve, rest assured it’s NOT me. I haven’t seen anywhere nearly all, let alone done it all

            And I only figure I’m a passable bike mechanic, with loads of topics I’m weak on.

            Steve Birmingham

            Lowell, Ma

          • Steve Birmingham
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2009

              I found the parts book I have, and unfortunately everything is older than Nexus 7.  I do have parts breakdowns for  Nexus4 and most anything

              Shimano made around 1990. The shifter breakdowns are not very detailed though.

              Steve