RE: [Bicycle_Restoration] Proud Proteus Owner!

  • Steve Birmingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008

      There’s some basic info here http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Proteus.htm

      I’ve only seen a couple of them, and the ones I saw were pretty nice. It sounds like it depends on who made that exact frame.

      One assembled at home could be a bit iffy, but one done by Yamaguchi would be very nice. I think the shop is still around and has some records.

      Steve Birmingham

      Lowell, Ma

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
        We sold a bunch of these.  semi-custom frames.   Made to order but as I recall, buyers didn't have much input as to custom dimensions.  Got them from Maryland.  The bike shop owner at the time would get extras to sell but it seemed everyone wanted what we didn't have in stock.  Nice fairly high end frames, Reynolds 531, Dupont Imron exoxy paint, clean looking lugs.  The paint was a bit bulky so it tended to hide details so they kept it simple looking.

        fyi:
        http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Proteus.htm

        Rick

        At 05:01 PM 11/29/2008, you wrote:

        Hi All,

        Impulse buying got the best of me! Again!

        Check out the eBay auction for #150311605364, "'77 68cm PROTEUS century road frame."

        He took my offer for somewhat less than the "Buy It Now" price. I felt bad low-balling him, but the 59cm top tube was a bit too short for me. However, at the price I paid, I'll run my 150mm Salsa stem and be very, very happy!

        Anyone have any experience with the Proteus frames? If so, please speak! It sure looks like a nice setup, with a good, long wheelbase, long stays, and eyelets for racks. I think I will be able to turn it into a wonderful bike for centuries, randoneuring and the like!

        Woohoo!

        Yours,

        - Forbes Black, Santa Clarita, CA

        Cycloculture - A Journal for Real World Cyclists
        http://cycloculture.com
      • Forbes Bagatelle-Black

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
            Date: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 pm ((PST))

            >Hi All,
            >
            >Impulse buying got the best of me! Again!
            >
            >Check out the eBay auction for #150311605364, "'77 68cm PROTEUS century road frame."
            >
            >He took my offer for somewhat less than the "Buy It Now" price. I felt bad low-balling him, but the 59cm top tube was a bit too short for me. However, at the price I paid, I'll run my 150mm Salsa stem and be very, very happy!
            >
            >Anyone have any experience with the Proteus frames? If so, please speak! It sure looks like a nice setup, with a good, long wheelbase, long stays, and eyelets for racks. I think I will be able to turn it into a wonderful bike for centuries, randoneuring and the like!
            >
            >Woohoo!

            Congrats! I had a watch on it just to see where it went. I had one built
            back in 1975. Mine was their racier frame geometry, but in a low trail custom
            build. For some reason, I neglected to have bottle mounts added.

            I rode it for quite a few years. I still have it, but haven't ridden it for the
            last few years because I'v been too lazy to change the failing TTT bars and I'm
            afraid to ride it as is.

            Mine is a tiny little 64 cm frame :-)

            Over the years its had everything from a full Campy NR group to a TA triple,
            cyclone touring derailers, and fenders on it. Currently back to Campy:
            http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/Proteus.html
            <http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/Proteus.html>

            >Yours,
            >
            >- Forbes Black, Santa Clarita, CA