1964 Schwinn American

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
      I agreed to tune up an old bike for a 74 year old lady who works at our
      neighborhood thrift store. She said it was just an old bike she used to
      ride, but the tires were flat and it was in "pretty bad shape". I told
      her I would try to get it roadworthy so she could go riding. I went
      over to pick it up, thinking I would find a Breeze or Starlet, maybe a
      Hollywood. I picked up a 1964 American in great condition, wheels are
      perfectly straight, all the chrome is good, and the paint has just a
      couple scrapes. The seat isn't original, but it's a good one. I'll post
      up an after photo when I'm done with it. Too bad I can't find larger
      (fatter) tires for it. All I have are the 1 3/4 width. Some are pretty
      wide, and others seem just over an inch wide, but they all say 1 3/4.

      Does anyone know where I can get the wider tires for the S7 wheels?
    • sam lingo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
        --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <barrymay@...>
        wrote: Too bad I can't find larger
        > (fatter) tires for it. All I have are the 1 3/4 width. Some are pretty
        > wide, and others seem just over an inch wide, but they all say 1 3/4.
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can get the wider tires for the S7 wheels?

        S-7 rims are for 1 3/4(schwinn) tires only.they are not 1.75".They
        were made for the thinner middleweight tires only and also the frame
        is a bit narrower than the schwinn balloon frames.Stick with the s-7
        tires.
      • Barry
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
          Right you are. I put the tires on and shined it up, unusual that that
          was all it needed besides packing the bearings. It looks good with
          those tires. I dropped it off at her garage without taking a photo,
          but I hope to get one with her riding it. A piece of Americana, it
          rides like new.