Ever seen one of these?

  • dlhughes001@juno.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 4:06 AM

      This is the underside of an old Columbia trike on the Austin, TX Craigslist. I've never seen a 'transmission' like this before. The 3-speed hub, I recognize, of course. But what's that other device under there...a differential, maybe?

      Here's the URL , in case anyone's interested in buying this trike. I just wish I had the loose change right now...

      Dave Hughes

      When you don't have health insurance is when you'll need it the most. Click here to get insured.
    • dlhughes001@juno.com

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 8:54 AM
          Why yes I have seen one like that. I have one in my garage
          attic. The rear axle pictured is a differential so you get two wheel
          drive without forcing 1 wheel to skid in corners. My spare
          differential looks very much like that and came off a 70s JC Penny
          riding lawn mower I dismanteled after wearing it out. I kept it
          thinking I might come up with a use for it some day.

          Rick

        • dlhughes001@juno.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1 9:10 AM

            So, it is a differential...

            I wonder about the mechanical efficiency of a planetary hub, then a differential, and two chains.

            If I had the disposable bux right now, I'd probably buy that ol' trike and do a restore on it. There's an awful lot of rust on it, though.

            Thanks for the info!

            Dave

            At 06:08 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:

            >This is the underside of an old Columbia trike on the Austin, TX
            >Craigslist. I've never seen a 'transmission' like this before. The
            >3-speed hub, I recognize, of course. But what's that other device
            >under there...a differential, maybe?
            >
            >Here's the URL , in case anyone's interested in buying this trike. I
            >just wish I had the loose change right now...
            >
            >Dave Hughes
            >

            >___________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __
            ><http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2112/ fc/Ioyw6iiejD7wS q5IQ5lvNXb5yNJXb ROXy2aRzt5hHFNcy v9F2EZC8O/ ?count=123456789 0>When
            >you don't have health insurance is when you'll need it the most.
            >Click here to get insured.

            Hospitality Management - Get the career you've always wanted. Click Now.
          • sam lingo
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 7:08 PM
              --- In Bicycle_Restoration@yahoogroups.com, "dlhughes001@..."
              <dlhughes001@...> wrote:

              > So, it is a differential...
              Both the Differential and the drive shaft were invented for the
              Bicycle years before the automoble.--sam
            • David Toppin
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1 7:25 PM

                Well, the differential was actually for the high wheeled trikes..