Question for bike experts

  • Rich Haberkorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      A question about 'touring bikes' Vs 'road bikes'.
      I read somewhere that "touring bikes" generally have a longer
      wheelbase than do "road bikes", is this true?
      Further, to be classed as a touring bike that the wheelbase would
      have to be 1000mm or greater,,...sound right?
      -
      The reason that i ask is that my 2 main bikes have a wheelbase of 39
      3/8" or 1000+mm and i am very comfortable with them.
      So if a got a new road bike with a 52cm frame, the wheelbase would
      be somewhat more 'close', by like 1.5" or more
      -
      I guess i could extent the seat post further to the rear to provide
      a greater 'reach' to give me my desired 'feel' which i now have with
      longer wheelbase bikes....
      I guess the main difference then would be that in the 'feel' of the
      bike, would be quicker steering responce with a shorter
      wheelbase....am i close!
      -
      I got used-to the feel of a greater 'reach' with my long wheelbase
      bikes, that is why i ask.

      thanks in advance, Rich
      -
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
        Correct, touring bikes do have a longer wheelbase.  but also relaxed head angles.  which in turn gives you a longer wheelbase.  They will have more clearence for tires too.  to allow difference size tires, and /or fenders.  When i learned to build frames, i was told they have a longer BB drop as well.
        Hope that helps.
        Gary

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          Racing bikes usually have a greater distance between seat and
          handlebars than touring bikes, despite the shorter wheelbases. Top
          tube lengths are similar or but racing bikes usually have lower stems
          with more extension.

          Typically touring bikes have longer chainstays and more fork rake
          which gives the longer WB. Touring bikes usually have taller stems
          with shorter extensions.

          At 1/1/2008 10:12 AM +0000, you wrote:
          >A question about 'touring bikes' Vs 'road bikes'.
          >I read somewhere that "touring bikes" generally have a longer
          >wheelbase than do "road bikes", is this true?

          True

          >Further, to be classed as a touring bike that the wheelbase would
          >have to be 1000mm or greater,,...sound right?

          Considerably greater IMHO to be classified as a true "Touring
          Bike". Mine, at the looong end of the spectrum, has a 1120mm wheelbase.

          But most road bikes are just general purpose machines. Neither pure
          racing bikes nor designed to carry heavy loads over long distances,
          day after day. A strong rider will be able to go quite quickly on
          one, but races are won by inches and seconds. You can tour on them,
          but carrying a lot of gear will degrade the handling.

          Mark Stonich;
          BikeSmith Design & Fabrication
          5349 Elliot Ave S. - Minneapolis. MN 55417
          Ph. (612) 824-2372 http://bikesmithdesign.com
          http://mnhpva.org