Re: technical question

  • Rich Haberkorn
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Sheldon, more questions on this;
      Rich1; I think i got it now, and correct me if i am wrong here.
      I deduce from your site [nice technical info btw] that the 'c' was
      originally to designate the rim width.
      -
      Sheldon; No, the "C" designated a tire width, not rim width.
      It originally applied to a rather wide tire with a 700 mm outside
      diameter. 700B was a thinner tire with the same outside diameter, so
      it needed a larger diameter rim. Same for 700A but even more so.
      Over time, people started going with narrower and narrower tires
      on 700C rims.
      -
      Rich2; now your talken 700C rims rather than 700C tires, so did the
      rims eventually take-on the designation for the "matching" tire size?
      My original question was about the 'C' rim designation.
      and
      If 700C is a tire width designation, then do we see 700C size
      tubulars??

      Sheldon; Now when you see wide 700C tires, they're called "29
      inch" by the marketeers, as if it hadn't been confusing enough
      before!
      -
      R2; oh,..i wondered about that, humm
      -
      Sheldon; Safer to call them 622 mm, that avoids confusion once you
      get used to the modern system.
      -
      R2; What do ya call 622 mm, the rims or the tires?

      > Sheldon "ISO/E.T.R.T.O." Brown
      > http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing
      > +---------------------------------------------+
      > | The nice thing about standards is that |
      > | there are so many of them to choose from. |
      > | --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
      > +---------------------------------------------+
      > --
      > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
      > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
      > http://harriscyclery.com
      > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
      > http://captainbike.com
      > Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
      > http://sheldonbrown.com

    • Rich Haberkorn
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi Sheldon, ok so i think i got it now, and correct me where i'm
        wrong here;
        The letter designation was orginally for the tire width, then
        later, the same matching letter designation 'also' became a rim
        width designation.
        So now we see a 700C rim and a 700C tire......right?
        -
        And i am thinking that the "C" [letter designation] has NOTHING to
        do with being a clincher rim, which was my original question..:-))

        am i close.?
        -
        from, Rich